Dwarf gourami disease DGD what can you do!!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some fish are hardy and can survive in poor water quality but gourmis can not and that is why he has the disease. For example my platys were in a tank that had an ammonia spike that was bad and none of my fish died.
Stop stop I have been in the hobby for over four decades this is a genetic disorder that 25% of all dwarf gouramis get. Please stop it is not my water quality if you don't know what I'm asking please do not reply thank you.

Pretty much every fish disease is caused by doing something wrong with your fish or fish tank and if you read up on the disease then you would know.
Not dwarf gourami disease it is a generic disorder that affects 25% of all dwarf gouramis. So you are wrong perhaps poor water quality can bring it out quicker but if a dwarf gourami is going to get this they're going to get it even if they're swimming in God's tears it's a genetic disorder that the researchers don't know how to correct why SMH.

Both of those fish are male. The healthy and the sick one. Female powder blue dwarf gourami do NOT have tbe red on the edge of the fins like your healthy one has.

And the fins are chewed up and eaten. This is a case of a fish being attacked.

This is a female dwarf gourami. Theyre plain and silver, though a powder blue female exists as blue... they will not have any red on their fins at all.
20200424_231320.jpg

So far not one person has told me anything about dwarf gourami disease that I was asking for. Most of you don't even know what dwarf gourami disease is and you're telling me to check my water parameters SMH.

Everything I can find on DGD is that it is a viral disease in gouramis that is most often caused by poor water quality or bad chemistry

DGD is a terrible thing with DG. However, the onset of any disease, including DGD, are often triggered by stress.

Unfortunately at the stage your fish is in, if it is DGD, your time frame is simply a matter of days or weeks.

Two males sharing a tank is a stress, and a weaker fish will succomb to this, whether they fight visibly or not--the stress is there even without apparent aggression.

And before you take a snap at me next, i am experienced with DG as i keep and breed them.

Also the only thing I have found on genetics playing a part is inbreeding weakening them, making them more prone to getting it, not it being a genetic disease

Guys, listen to @Tony blazer...

I know it’s “Protocol” for you to ask what his water parameters are, are any fish picking on him, how long has your tank been setup, etc, etc.

He specifically said in post #1 that his water parameters are fine. He also mentioned that no other fish was picking on him.

He has also been in the hobby for over 4 decades. I think this guy knows what he’s doing.

He is asking specifically if any member knows about DGD and if so, how to treat it.

The link your provided says that its weakened immune systems cause by the genetics, not that it is a genetic disease.
IME, Dwarf Gourami’s (DG) are very susceptible to diseases. It could possibly be genetic. That is why most DG’s you buy at large retail pet stores die soon after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back