DT CTs?

Synirr

"No one is a failure unless you try"
Reaction score
I know plakat crowntails exist, but what about DT crowntails? I don't remember ever having seen one... is it genetically possible, you think? If it is, I may want to attempt breeding a DT CT plakat, just to see if I can :lol:

If the info on genetics I've read is right and the CT and DT traits don't somehow effect one or the other being expressed when both are present, I'll bet you I could get a DT CT plakat in two generations.... it wouldn't be very clean, but all the genetic components would be there. Should we start a betting pool? :lol: ;)

Yes, I have see some in aquabid. Wasan from Thailand did post a double crowntail red gold before. I don't really like it by the way. I might have a picture download that I burn it into a cd. I can try to find it tomorrow. :)

I saw a couple on aquabid just yesterday, actually. They're probably still there. I wasn't impressed. Because the crowntail trait makes the tail look ragged anyway, it just looks like they had a huge chunk nipped out of the middle of their tail fin. When it's a regular ct, you can see the smooth edges, so you know the ragged look is genetic, not nipping. With the dt ct, it's a lot harder to see. Now, with the shorter plakat tail genetic in there, it might be different, but I think I read somewhere that the long tail gene is dominant over the short tail. Am I right? You might get a couple of short tailed ct dt's. That might look nice. Go for it if you really want to try. I'd love to see (or get *wink*, *wink*) the results. :)

this is th eonly pic of a ct dt i could find on google

Attachments

• doubletailcrown.jpg
    doubletailcrown.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 45
FalconStorm said:
Now, with the shorter plakat tail genetic in there, it might be different, but I think I read somewhere that the long tail gene is dominant over the short tail. Am I right? You might get a couple of short tailed ct dt's. That might look nice. Go for it if you really want to try. I'd love to see (or get *wink*, *wink*) the results. :)
Yes, the plakat gene is recessive, as are the CT and DT genes (though CT has some incomplete dominance which results in combtails)
I really really like the look of CT plakats, and I'm starting to like DTs more, which is why I'm inspired to try this... can't imagine what it would look like, though! In plakats the CT trait doesn't make them look as ragged, so I think it might turn out nicely. :)
I think as soon as the Mini spawn is grown I'll try breeding Lil again, then jump into this project. Maybe I could find a nice marble CT female between now and then and use my marble DT plakat male as the sire :hey:

leasbettas-- There are DTs with a 180 degree spread out there... I think the term is "full moons" (get it, get it? HM with two tails = FULL moon ;) )
Hehe sorry, the term just strikes me as clever.

I figure if I breed a DT plakat with a CT, then breed the offspring of that cross together, I will (in theory) get about 1.6% CT DT plakats... along with practically every combination of CT, DT, and plakat traits you can possibly imagine!! How fun would that be?? Having a pair that throws every tail type out there (excluding HM and veil, though I guess I could also incorporate HM if I started with the right pair) :hyper:

This is the genetic summary I spent my day putting together. I honestly enjoy this kind thing -- am I crazy or what?! :lol: :S
It includes a trihybrid punnett square, which represents the results of breeding siblings from the DT plakat X CT spawn together, along with tables of percentages for the resulting genotypes and phenotypes (how the babies would actually look, including combtails!)
http://arsenic-tea.com/bettagenetics.doc

yeeviabetta said:
Yes, I have see some in aquabid. Wasan from Thailand did post a double crowntail red gold before. I don't really like it by the way. I might have a picture download that I burn it into a cd. I can try to find it tomorrow. :)
i bought a pair of the dt cts from wasan.
not the cheap though either!
they are nice looking fish although the male is quite small.
But yet the female is quite big. i dont think i'll be able to spawn them due to the big size difference
Another guy is know got another CT DT pair from wasan too and it was the same, very small male.
this is the pic of his pair
red_gold_dt_ct_male.jpg

red_gold_dt_ct_female.jpg

red_gold_dt_ct.jpg

this is one of the pics that were on australian betta forums the pic that wasan himself took.

the one i have is the same colour just a better tail split.
my CTDT tail split goes all the way the the base opf the tail.

Those are fantastic looking! :hyper:
Now I really REALLY want to try this spawn *lol*

Most reactions

Back