Drowning Fish ?

Blondy

Reaction score
:crazy:

I have a well established and well cycled tank and untill 6 weeks ago a healthy stock.

I added 4 glass cat fish and they brought 'something' with it started on the golden barbs then to the others in tank, Soon all were itchy and so the tank was treated with Protozin( i have dojo loach and bara shark plus red tailed shark so that was best option) They all stopped itching and the patch of white just starting on goldens diaspeared.

In the last week 11 of the smallest fish in the tank have died and I have watched 3 and its the same way, they look like they are drowning and die opened mouthed...... I have a 320 l tank a 750 and 1000 w air pump split over 4 lines over tank.....( one bubble 3 air stones)

There are no fresh plants in as we have an old and grumpy algae eater who chews them and spits them out...

I suplement with algae wafers.. and the odd bit of blanched lettuice and spinach.

i know excessive mulm can cause fish do drown even in a well airatted tank but am unsure how to treat....

please help me I am particullaly as last night i lot my pregnant cherry barb who was very close to laying her eggs and I was really looking forward to her babies as she was on of my first fish.

thank you

Can we take a look at your water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph.
Any excess mucas on the fish.
Check the gills over to see if they are pale with excess mucas or red and inflamed.
Sounds like a parasite infested the gills.

Dip tests are

NO3 -0
no2 -1
GH -25
kh -3od
ph - 6.8

the gills are clean and no change in colour, eyes are clear, few damaged scales on large female angel but mr angel is frisky at the moment
there is one small whitish patch starting on one of the goldens ( again)

The nitrite readiang is that a high 1 on the chart or 01.
Do you have ammonia reading.
How long have you been using the parasite med.

Sorry o.1 and have no ammonia tests here and will be tomorrow before i can get to shop.

the second cylce of protozine went in last friday. ( doses on day 1,2,3 and 6 waited 4 days and then doeses on 1,2,3 and 6, friday) the itchy ness is gone its just the way the fish are dying that bothers me ......

I have sludge buster for tropical tanks if that would help but dont want to put anything in tll know it will help

Dip-stick tests are notoriously inaccurate IME. I recommend you get a liquid based one such as API master liquid test kit if you can get it.

Ok.
I would take a sample of your water to the lfs and tell them to write the readings down for you.
I would do a water change and add the correct amount of med back to the water removed.
Have you increased aeration in the tank,
If the white going I would just carry on with the med.

Sludge buster never heard of that what does it treat by the way.

lfs ( fish shop?)

sludge buster is friendly bacteria that speeds up poo break down ( silmilar to filter aid)

Yes.
Have you increased aeration as if there not enough 02 that what could be making the fish gasp.

its up full and have moved pump outlet to puh in water too ( everyone is going to the loo alreadylol)

Ok that fine.
Sometimes certain parasite meds can knock your water stats.
I would do the water change and get your water tested.
I agree with tetralinz test strip are not accurate the liquid test kits are the best.

Just wan t to make sure the white patches don't look fluffy in appearance, or white bleaching beneath the skin.

thank you now for the logistics for a water change!

What does the bleaching mean???

Bleaching beneath the skin can be columnaris.
Water change as you have a nitrite reading, plus don't know your ammonia reading, just to be on the safe side.

What would be the treatment be as it sounds like the inital 'something' in my tank

have attached pic, but not good, cant get them to stand still

Attachments

• phpRjhQKJAM.jpg
    phpRjhQKJAM.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 30
Sorry don't understand what you mean.

Most reactions

Back