Driftwood

chimera_786

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Where can i look for good driftwood. Ive looking at petco and other LFS and have read reviews which made me reconsider buying them there. Im looking for something which wont leach into water and decompose out of control. Also when i was looking at some driftwood, i came across african, malaysian driftwood. Does that matter? or is it just another selling trick?
Also, driftwood does sink to the bottom right caz i dont want a big chunck of wood just floating around!!! LOL

My tank (20 gallons) has a few plants along with 3 danios (2 zebra and one long finned blue danio) and 3 rasboras herlequins.

Most driftwood or bogwood will leach tannins when you first get it, and some may float too. But if you soak it in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks before you put it in the tank this should solve both issues.
Just dump the wood in a bucket of water, change the water every few days (when it's looking dirty). when the water stays clear, you can put it in your tank.

Some people boil wood beforehand too. Not sure whether that's strictly necessary if you are getting it from an LFS or not.

Most driftwood or bogwood will leach tannins when you first get it, and some may float too. But if you soak it in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks before you put it in the tank this should solve both issues.
Just dump the wood in a bucket of water, change the water every few days (when it's looking dirty). when the water stays clear, you can put it in your tank.

Some people boil wood beforehand too. Not sure whether that's strictly necessary if you are getting it from an LFS or not.

i always wondered about that.

If the wood is dry, would it not burn in the oven?
Plus if you bake it do you still have to dump it in a bucket?

i always wondered about that.

If the wood is dry, would it not burn in the oven?
Plus if you bake it do you still have to dump it in a bucket?

I think people boil it, rather than bake it.

Boiling just speeds things up. In my experience six hours of continuous boiling (just need to change the water whenever it gets very brown) and then soaking in a bucket overnight has always been enough to make bogwood sink and get rid of much of the discoloration it causes.

so wats better? bog wood or drift wood? and wat would be a good website to buy them from. theres all this fuss about whether its african or malayian or of some other origion...does it really matter where its from?? Also, could someone recommend a good online LFS which are reliable and have cheap shipping?
btw....im located in Virginia, US.

I think the difference is mostly aesthetic, I've not heard any issues between african or malaysian etc.

Its worth checking ebay, you occasionally can pick up a bargain.

I think people boil it, rather than bake it.

lmao, oh dear :lol: What ever you do don't bake it :no:

I use stacks of bog wood to keep the ph down, you can boil it which might knock a couple of weeks of the leachng of tannin but in general (with average 3KG piece) you'l be looking at a month or so of brown water, it will slowly clear but also be prepared for a mucky tank, no matter how much you scrub it before hand loads more dirt and wood chips come off it during the first few weeks.

lol, cool.
So if i'm getting my tank in about 4 - 5 weeks then i should get my wood now and start cleaning it?

Also..... If i get my wood clean before i get my tank, can i put it in a bag and store it there? will i need to clean it again?

no matter how much you wash it before hand once in your tank it will still leech and mucky the tank a little. It will only leech under water so keeping it in a bag isn't needed, if you'v finished washing it before your tank is set up just leave it anywhere and give it a rinse before you use it

My driftwood has always sunk without issue, with little preparation (sp?). The brown ness makes your tank look a little more natural too imo (as long as it doesn't get too muddy looking)!

Most reactions

Back