Do your fish yawn?

Blue Lobster

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
They are usually just floating around toward the end of the day chillin out cause they know there is no more food coming. Once in a while they will strech their mouths real wide. My angels do it, my balas too.

They are healthy, happy and I am positive they are just acting normal.

What could they be tired from? They just eat, swim and dirty the tank all day. :dunno:

Bettas do that too - and the only thing I have been able to figure out with bettas for why they do it is that they're sort of clearning out the labywrinth inside their gills. But... if other fish do it too, maybe they just really are yawning.

It's hard work lazing around a tank all day long, eating, exploring and resting you know... ;)

I saw a show on animal planet one time that claimed all animals yawn... who knows why ;)

All fish yawn, some make it more obivous than other, but to answer your question, they yawn because they are continously moving their mouth...

Thats mean that they are working their mouth muscle continously, and so will get tired, but they have to keep doing it in order to breath, and they dont have eye lids so it is presumed they dont sleep, what i recon is if they did, they would live even longer... j/k :p

If you want, give it a try, make fish mouth movement for a while and see whether you yawn or not...

;)

Zenn said:
If you want, give it a try, make fish mouth movement for a while and see whether you yawn or not...
Something tells me you've actually done this?

Hehe

My Oscar yawns..... with a mouth the size of his it looks really funny! I'm sure if he tried he could probably swallow the bogwood in his tank! :eek:

tiger barbs yawn alot & stick their dorsal fin up at full stretch whilst doing it.quite cute :D

Tropjunky said:
kool i haven't seen my fish yawn yet but then i'm not always watching them (i think it's an invasion of privacy)
:rofl: so we're allowed to suck up their poo but it's an invasion of privicy to watch them yawn!

My Oscar turns the other way when he yawns and hides behind the bogwood to poo!

go to Members Aquariums and Fish Pictures, go to the bottom, where it says search, type yawn or yawning(something along the lines of that)and a thread willhopefully come up that i started,which is pics of mine and other members fish yawning :nod:

DD

sunflower said:
Zenn said:
Something tells me you've actually done this?
Well not making fish movement with my mouth, but yeah if ou run your mouth enough, your jas get tired and you tend to yawn, unless you my little brother who NEVER SHUTS UP, and i am blankly suprised that he doesnt get jaw ache

V.v"

Most reactions

Back