Do you think fish remember each other???

I've been observing a pretty large mixed cherry shrimp colony in close quarters for a little while.

And for a 10K neurons brain being, They know their buddies, they play together, they harass other "gangs", they chill together, they know their environment, they play with it, they have their territories, and their individual habits.

Some love to race against the current of the filter and some like to come from the back and accelerate full pin with the water flow.

This kind of behaviors can only occur if the ability of envisaging "self" in the future having fun "doing the ride" simply exist.

I have no problem imagining a shrimp waking up in the morning and choosing between going to have a meal or having a grace morning, thinking "What a lovely day !"

Well, I come at this discussion late too. When we had a "fish sitter" she either didn't move in our "usual way". Or did something that startled our dennisonii barbs. 1 jumped out & she rescued it (picked it up & put it back in the tank). It was fine.

My husband was not the "main" feeder of our little discus "1 inch" fry. I could cup them in my hand & they would eat anything I offered including veggies. For him, they were more picky about food. His computer was next to their tank, shouldn't they have "known" him better? Or was I just the good food goddess?

As far as birds go, our balcony cardinals knew my husband was the feeder, not me. They would look through the patio door & chirp a lot for him, but they didn't for me.

I think there's a few kinds of learning or "intelligence" depending on how we judge them. I have seen fish do a "happy dance" around a former tankmate or a less exuberant greeting to a conspecific. I know your type is like me is different than I know YOU!

Most reactions

Back