Do You Go 'bare-Hand' Into Your Aquarium?

cheeky chappie

Reaction score
i always have, sometimes up to my elbows, but this artical is making me think twice:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003001/Girl-13-faces-having-hand-amputated-scratching-fish-tank.html

okay we've maybe got more chance of winning the lottery than this happening to us, however just as you have to be 'in it to win it' when it comes to the lottery maybe the same applies here? in other words chances might be slim of catching something from our aquariums but maybe we should be protecting ourselves? something like this:

http://www.healthylivingdirect.com/en/gardenability/garden-clothig--footwear/extra-long-latex-gloves.aspx

maybe better to be protected?

Don't some gloves leech chemicals though? Just a thought and I'm probably wrong. I generally wash hands thoughrouly after having to put a bare hand in the tank.

More chance of getting hit by a car while crossing the road in front of my house. Probably more likely do die of food poisoning too..

The disease is extremely rare in aquariums, even more rare for humans to pick up. Even if one wore gloves, they'd probably tear if you scratched yourself badly enough to get infected (which is not that badly at all).

I do wear gloves when handling some corals, but that's mostly because I know I get allergic reactions to certain ones (found out the hard way, but accidentally brushing one while doing water changes).

Bare handed, just like touching natural bodies of water.

I think getting paranoid about the super rare chances of things like this is exactly why we over use antibacterial soaps and disinfectants, making these bugs into superbugs and simultaneously weakening our own immune systems (and increasing the frequency of asthma and allergies).

I do agree with fishguy, the only reason I use gloves is because of allergies, the chances of contracting this disease is minimal, I really wouldn't lose sleep over it.

+1

And to top it all off, even the experts agree that the best way to kill germs is to wash with the hottest water possible.

Most reactions

Back