Do I Kill It

i dont think it looks like doesnt look like tb. all the sores normally come first. gold longfinned danios are so over bred its quite normal for such fish to have internal problems from time to time. i would consider euthinasia if he/she was mine.

He/she is obvouisly quite a good size and im sure its had a good life but im sure it must be suffering now and in my experiance not many fish like this get better.

also if it was in the wild im sure it wouodnt of lasted till now in its state

Oh I just don't know what to do now that it may not have TB..... It is swimming about and eating fine (peas etc) currently having to strip down my tank as have an outbreak of ich so i don't know if I have the heart do it right now..... I have had to isolate another younger danio I introduced as it has developed curved spine and thinking I may have to do the same......

I'm not enjoying all of this right now as It seems to one thing after another......

I don't (I think) overfeed I have ordered a new external filter (tetratec ex1200) so I am hoping that it will help in a big way...... Thank you for you comments

I think that until it starts acting sick as well as looking sick just leave it be

I think that until it starts acting sick as well as looking sick just leave it be

I think so also, every day I look at it though, it appears bigger as if it is going to burst.... Now I can only sympathize when I swell up a bit but at least I have options........ :blink:

I've looked over the net and saw some people saying their zebra danios and other danios are getting fat, humongous, before egg-laying. It took them around 3-4 weeks before the belly of those returned to normal.
Maybe that's a female full of eggs and doesn't find a male to spawn with.

I've looked over the net and saw some people saying their zebra danios and other danios are getting fat, humongous, before egg-laying. It took them around 3-4 weeks before the belly of those returned to normal.

I never thought of it that way, I was looking at it from the worst case scenario. I did checkfor signs of dark areas in case it was that, I guess if there isn't any mate then I wouldn't see anything...... I take it the unfertilized eggs dissolve with no harmful effects?

Honestly I'd leave it for the time being. Mine lived for ages with perfectly normal behaviour. I think what killed mine was that it over-fed on sinking pellets i'd put in for my loaches and burst its gut :(

Honestly I'd leave it for the time being. Mine lived for ages with perfectly normal behaviour. I think what killed mine was that it over-fed on sinking pellets i'd put in for my loaches and burst its gut :(

Yeuck that must have been messy ...It reminds me of a Monty Python Sketch ........ :sick:

Haha! It was all internal but you could see the belly was full of blood! Poor thing.

I never thought of it that way, I was looking at it from the worst case scenario. I did checkfor signs of dark areas in case it was that, I guess if there isn't any mate then I wouldn't see anything...... I take it the unfertilized eggs dissolve with no harmful effects?
Not sure if it's true that the eggs may be absorbed by the female, or they just dump and eat them somewhere since they are infertile. Would be good if she had a mate that's from her species.

Not sure if it's true that the eggs may be absorbed by the female, or they just dump and eat them somewhere since they are infertile. Would be good if she had a mate that's from her species.

Yes true. I take it pearl danios are out of the question?

Not sure what yours is. Looks like a yellow longfin danio.
zebra-danio-longfin-yellow.jpg

And no idea if they'd breed with pearls.

Not sure what yours is. Looks like a yellow longfin danio.
zebra-danio-longfin-yellow.jpg

And no idea if they'd breed with pearls.

That is EXACTLY what it looks like except really deformed looking..... I feel sorry for it but it's swimming about and eating.......

That is EXACTLY what it looks like except really deformed looking..... I feel sorry for it but it's swimming about and eating.......
Numerous fat danios:
2316_Danio_2_1.jpg

amuro.jpg

8124_49b82b8ab7db4.jpg

2l9mrfd.jpg

bingedanio.jpg

^ This last one has been losing its "fatness" and then gaining it back, and is suspect of either carrying eggs or eating too much (according to its owner).

The problem with bloated fish is that it's hard to tell (especially if female) if they have babies / eggs or are super fat or are constipated (does it poop by the way?) or just have some organ failure.

Numerous fat danios:
2316_Danio_2_1.jpg

amuro.jpg

8124_49b82b8ab7db4.jpg

2l9mrfd.jpg

bingedanio.jpg

^ This last one has been losing its "fatness" and then gaining it back, and is suspect of either carrying eggs or eating too much (according to its owner).

The problem with bloated fish is that it's hard to tell (especially if female) if they have babies / eggs or are super fat or are constipated (does it poop by the way?) or just have some organ failure.

It wouldn't have been easy to snap those photos I bet.... I do feed peas have just done that infact and tried to see if it would poop and ..nope no poop...... (what a way to spend a Tuesday night watchin a fish poop) :crazy: .. I would have thought if it was any type of internal failure it wouldn't have survived this long.. One thing I'm thinking is that all of this has just happened since I transferred it into the larger tank.. ...

Numerous fat danios:
2316_Danio_2_1.jpg

amuro.jpg

8124_49b82b8ab7db4.jpg

2l9mrfd.jpg

bingedanio.jpg

It wouldn't have been easy to snap those photos I bet.... I do feed peas have just done that infact and tried to see if it would poop and ..nope no poop...... (what a way to spend a Tuesday night watchin a fish poop) :crazy: .. I would have thought if it was any type of internal failure it wouldn't have survived this long.. One thing I'm thinking is that all of this has just happened since I transferred it into the larger tank.. ...

I don't know, none of them are mine. My zebra danios died eaten by four bettas I had.

No poop at all? Sounds like some major congestion going on in its belly.
Try epsom salt baths. Seems like it is constipation since it doesn't poop. Or in worst case, could have a tumor that blocks it...

Most reactions

Back