Discus

I feed tropical quintet, once cube in the early morning, one in the early evening. This diet of frozen food is ofset by a hight protien discus feed, Kisuri Tropical Discus Sticks to be precice, and catfish sinker pellets, also twice a day once late morning morning and late evening :good: Frozen is good, as the discus digestive system is relatively short and prone to constipation issues with only dried food going in. Adding frozen flushes the system and prevents constipation :nod:
I remember reading somewhere that it only takes 30 mins for food to pass through a discus -_- . Not sure how true this is, but if you see them in bright light, you can see how short the digestive tract is, as it appears as a darker patch within them. This means that anything you feed them needs to be easily digetible, as it isn't going to spend long in the fish being digested :no:
Mine weren't too fussed about the frozen discus mixes, and I had real trouble getting them to accept them, even after my starving techniques. I won't offer it again, though it's a good food if you can get them to accept it :nod:
I will probibly feed exclusively frozen once growth has stopped, as high protien foods break down to ammonia when the fish get their energy, and lots of it. This means increased maintanance. High protien diets when not needed can also lead to fatty liver disease, so only offer lots of protien to adult discus if you are trying to get them to spawn. High carbohydrate diets are better after growth is done, as it breaks down to water and C02 when the fish get energy, so minimal ammonia is produced and a reduction in maintanance can be made :good: It is also more easy to obtain energy from carbohydrate, so you can also feed less. There also are no dodgy by-products, so there is no risk of diet related illnesses such as fatty liver disease :nod:

HTH
Rabbut

Wow, thanks for the info. It was really helpful. Since my discus are still so new I think it would be a good idea to wait a bit before trying anything new.

Hi,

I too am in the research stage. I have a 55g tank also, and want some cardinals and corys with 5 discus. I would like to try a sand substrate with a few plants and bogwood. I notice that you have substrate, how is it for cleaning?

Nice tank and discus by the way, did you buy them from breeders or LFS? :good:

Cardinals, corries and discus are a good mix :good:
I have sand in mine, and have t outlets of the filter positioned such that all dirt is thrown up into the water column so that the filter can remove it for me. I don't clean it as such, but the filter does need cleaning slightly more often as a result. Flow accress the bace of the plants has not caursed my any issues, but it could with some plants :nod:
If you ever did need to clean it, you would simply hover a gravel vac over the substrate, and that would suck off all the dirt :good:

HTH
Rabbut

So far the sand is not a problem for cleaning, all the junk stays on the top so I can just siphon it off easily. Mine is a 55g as well I have 2 200w heaters, one Aquaclear 110 and one aquaclear70. I have bogwood/driftwood as well as amazon swords, val, green lotus and some water sprite. There are also 12 cardinal tetras in with the discus. I purchased my fish (including the cardinals) from a local fish store that I've purchased a lot my fish from (including almost all my saltwater fish). The owner fed them so I could see them eat and had already dewormed them.

You have a good source there. Most LFS discus are stunted and deformed. These are niether :good: They are well worth frequenting for their Discus fish if you are getting more :nod:

Well I've been going to this store for a very long time. I've purchased numerous fish from him (it's not a big chain store, more of a mom and pop thing) including a lot of saltwater fish. The owner has always given me good deals and when my saltwater fish got ick he even lent me his bottle of cupramine to treat them with even though the fish that got the ich was one of the few I did not get from him. A lady that helped me get set up got her discus from him as well and said he was the guy to go to. So I got all of them (I got 6) from him and he gave me a deal on them. The golden phoenixes and the spotted greens were normally $60 each while the blue diamonds were $55. He gave them to me at $40 each, still pricey but I think reasonable for discus (at least compared to other stores out here). If in the future I do another discus tank, or get a bigger one, I'm sure I'll buy the new discus from him as well. They come from Hong kong.

I do have a question, after watching them for the past few days, one of the golden phoenixes seems to not hang with the group, it's still colored up and eating, just likes to be off on it's own, and not all the time. I realize they will form somewhat of a pecking order so could this be part of that? They are just figuring out where everyone ranks?

that sounds normal, some are shyer than others and there will probably be some bickering till they have their pecking order, i still get the occasional spot of trouble with mine after a year and half together. They seem like they have settled well, as for food try them with some freeze dried brine shrimp pressed onto the glass, mine go mad for it and it helps bring them to the front and now mine pinch it from my fingers as i'm trying to put it in, they love pulling freeze dried tubifeds from my fingers too.
regards Angel

Ok, I'm probably just being paranoid but one of my blue diamonds has not really been eating today. Now if it was any other fish it would probably take me more than one day of not eating to worry but since these are discus and not cheap I'm sufficiently concerned. I'm going to try soaking the bloodworms in garlic to entice it, is there anything else to do? I was told they have already been dewormed and it is otherwise acting normal.

S/He may just be having a "strop" Mine do this from time to time. They look normal, but avoid the rest of the group, mooch about in plants and don't eat for about a week at a time. It's not too bad unless they still aren't eating when the tell tail spot behind the eyes appears. At this point I start to worry and move the fish to a bare bones QT tank. This allows closer observation of the ailing fish, and enables me to target unusualy high carbohydrate foods that have been soaked in garlic as you are trying ATM, this digests more easily into energy allowing the fish to survive off minimal food for longer :good:

In normal circumstances they snap themselves out of it if left alone. If they don't, or if more than one "strop" then you need to look for other caurses.

What are your water readings?

Are you noticing any gill clamping, fin clamping, heavy breething, twitching? Also, does the poo look normal?

All the best
Rabbut

I haven't taken water readings just yet. I only have tests for nitrates and ammonia as I just noticed the rest of my tests are only for saltwater. The fish is otherwise acting normal, swimming with the group, nice color, no rapid breathing or clamped fins. I haven't been able to see this ones poop (I'm assuming cuz it's not eating it is not producing a lot of waste) but the other guys all have normal poop. I'm just paranoid.

Keep an eye on him, if he stops eating for more then a week you will need to quarantine it. For now, get an eye dropper and melt frozen food in a cup of de-chlorinated water. Suck it up and while dropping the rest for the other fish, try getting this stuff closer to this guy. Try not to let the other Discus come over to this food. It should help keep his strength up even if he is only eating a little bit.

I didn't use an eye dropper but I did something similar and he wouldn't eat. The food can be right in front of his mouth and he won't eat it at all. This is my first time with discus (not with cichlids) and I'm worried because I've been told that unlike most cichlids, discus can and will starve themselves to death :(

I didn't use an eye dropper but I did something similar and he wouldn't eat. The food can be right in front of his mouth and he won't eat it at all. This is my first time with discus (not with cichlids) and I'm worried because I've been told that unlike most cichlids, discus can and will starve themselves to death :(

What are you feeding them? Sorry if you have already stated this, but I only skimmed through the thread.

Sometimes Discus can get very picky and only curtain foods. Right know, I have Discus that will only eat frozen foods, and then two Discus (one wild) that will only eat pellets and occasional peck at a brine shrimp.

You said you tried putting a little garlic juice into the food?

Keep an eye on this, sometimes if a fish is getting bullied really badly it gets stressed and stops eating. I would quarantine this like I said, after one week. After a few days in quarantine, we can discuss treatment but hopefully we won't need to...

Most reactions

Back