Daize's Planted Photo Journal - 64L 1Wpg Low Light

Platies can grow big Daize, so if the "boss" allows, get yourself a bigger tank too
tongue2.gif

I love mine. I used to hate platies before as all people do, but they are so interactive, it's unreal. Way better than a betta fish, guppy or any one of those with bad names.  They do observe you from inside the tank and are aware where you are at all times, yes, they are so greedy
biggrin.png

I just posted a picture on my other thread, but here are mine watching my partner sitting on the chair in front of the tank. I took the picture from the side. See their red faces looking at him :)

dscf4832.jpg

And that's how big they grow:

dscf4525v.jpg

Edit: Platies aren't the best cory partners due to their greediness.They'd eat any food and they love cory pellets, bunching around them.  But I always had platies and corys together so it's perfectly fine.

I love my platies, I really enjoy watching them.  I like the way they are so industrious, always doing something whether it be grazing on plants or exploring the wood and plants or trying to seduce a female to mate!  They never swim about aimlessly, they always seem to have some purpose.

I did want a bigger tank and I was originally hoping for a 125L (the Roma or Rio 80cm) but I have ruled that out now, we just don't have the space sadly.  The current tank is 60cm (2ft) and I could manage another 60-70cm tank at most.  The largest capacity tank I can get would be the Roma 90L.

The thing is, I don't really want a deep tank.  Cories and tiny platy fry are both basically bottom-dwellers so all that vertical space would be wasted, wouldn't it?  That's why I'm now thinking smaller, perhaps 54-60L.

But I keep asking myself - if I had two tanks, which one would I look at?! :p  I'd feel guilty for ignoring one while looking at the other!

How many kids do you have? 

The only advantage of a higher tank would be that the bigger volume is more stable. Platies will swim about in the upper levels too.
The other option is to get a tank that is still 2f long, but deeper if you can fit it. This will give you more floor space for bottom dwellers.

eaglesaquarium said:
How many kids do you have? 

Two but I think I see what you're getting at!  I can put both the kids in front of me but the tanks will be on different sides of the room! :p

Snazy - yep that would be ideal!  My perfect tank would be 75cm long x 40cm wide x 36cm high or thereabouts; the Fluval Roma is a bit narrower and deeper at 60 x 35 x 45 cm.  I think sensibly I should probably keep the one tank for maybe six months and see how I feel then.

No need to feel guilty looking at one and not the other.  I have a tank at home, and one at work.  You could put one in your bedroom maybe, and then you'd feel less guilty.  Find a spot in your house that you already spend a fair amount of time, and you might be surprised at how easily you could find yourself looking at TWO tanks. ;)

I've almost convinced my wife that a second tank (panda cory breeder) would be a good idea in our home!  I just need to figure out where I'd put it!

I wouldn't dare suggest the bedroom!  Hubby has already made it clear that fish tanks must stay in the kitchen!  Anyway there honestly isn't space anywhere else. 

Right now I'm feeling stressed out (after a rowdy children's party!) and really want to watch my fish but the tank lights are out.  If I had a second tank I could stagger the timers so that one is always on.  See, I'll talk myself into it eventually! :)

That's what I do, I have all tanks on a different light schedule so I always have something to look at if I feel like it. :)

I suppose I do the same thing... my tanks are just where I am at the moment.  Work tank lights are on in the "day", while home tank lights are on during the "evening".  Saturday and Sunday are tough though... I want the lights on 16 hours on the weekend!!!

daizeUK said:
I wouldn't dare suggest the bedroom! 

Let's good to know... (note to self: don't suggest bedroom to wife!)

Haha I showed him the picture that PS3Steveo posted of his bedroom with 3 fish tanks in it.  "That'll give him respiratory problems," he said with horror!

I am coming back round to the idea of a Roma 90L.  It's not that deep.  Maybe I could keep cories, small platies and endlers in it.
I'm not one for fast decisions :)

Its better that way.  ;)  Fast decisions are rarely good ones.

Ok let me try this again after Photobucket ate my first attempt at a post!

Tidied the tank up a little bit - and there's already fish poop on the sand! :rolleyes:
Daylight fluorescent tube is now installed so the plants look green instead of yellow!

Tank06Jun_zpsae87320a.jpg

I had to shorten the cabomba as the stems and lower leaves are still melting.  I'm not having much luck with tall stem plants, I really need some height at the back of the tank but the stem plants are really struggling.  I was hoping EasyCarbo would sort it out but no luck.  Maybe the extra light will help them (I'm hoping so)!

Also I took fry back to the fish shop for the first time today.  I was starting to lose count of all the fry in the tank and whose they were!  So I said bye-bye to these poor little guys.  I hope they find a decent new home... but I fear the chances are they won't.

FryBagged_zps7eb369e8.jpg

If you want more cabomba let me know and il send you a load when i do a trim.
It actually needs a trim now:)
Beautiful tank by the way:)

Thanks SLIM! 
My cabomba doesn't ever get any taller because the bottoms are melting just as fast as the tops are growing!
I've decided to try something different so I put some hygrophila polysperma in there today to see how it gets on.  Fingers crossed x

daizeUK said:
Thanks SLIM! 
My cabomba doesn't ever get any taller because the bottoms are melting just as fast as the tops are growing!
I've decided to try something different so I put some hygrophila polysperma in there today to see how it gets on.  Fingers crossed x
This is probably down to your lighting. Hope you have better luck with the Hygrophila Polysperma:)

Most reactions

Back