Daize's Planted Photo Journal - 64L 1Wpg Low Light

Fishing line is a good idea, I've noticed that Aquaessentials sells some for tying plants so I'll pick it up next time I order from them.

I had a bit of a mess-about with the tank today and put the mopani in.  I fear my plants are going to hate me now for moving them around!

Tank12AprAnno_zps0f5afc5c.jpg

It's all looking very bare along the back at the moment, because most of my tall plants melted.  I've scribbled some ideas to fill it in.  What do you think?

Just for fun here's one of my two red wagtail fry swimming in the vallis:
fry12Apr_zpscd14e1de.jpg

Your Vallis should grow back so hopefully that will add some height once again, the Anubias in your high quality diagram would look great though! ;)

The Java Moss is a definite too!

I'm glad you appreciate my high quality diagram, I spent countless nanoseconds working on that! ;)

The 'java' was actually intended to be java fern not moss.  I was thinking of something bushy in the top middle of the tank, not sure if it would look top heavy though.

I keep forgetting that anubias needs to be tied to something, not planted!  I guess I need a small rock or piece of wood at the back to tie it to. 

Or maybe even another large piece of wood for the right hand side, possibly taking those rocks out if necessary.  do you think another piece of wood would look better than the rocks?

I always think wood looks better than rocks, especially in a planted tank!

I'd have a look on eBay if I were you, you don't really need a big piece so you could find one pretty cheap :)

Maybe something that would lead up to the bigger piece of wood?

I'm a fan of both rocks and wood...  Rocks happen in nature. ;)

You can use a small piece of slate can hold the anubias down, but not be in view - if you prefer (the anubias would appear to be planted, but not be).

I absolutely love the look of mini landscape rock and I couldn't resist sneaking a bit into my tank (at least I think that's the type of rock I've got, not exactly sure!).  I've seen them in Iwagumis and they look fantastic.  I'm a big fan of mountains with jagged edges (hence why I love hiking holidays in the Lake District, UK and places like the Alps in Switzerland) and I've always wanted to re-create a mountain landscape (I enjoy modelling for my kid's railway set and back when my husband used to play wargames), alas never had the space!.

Sadly I don't think Iwagumis are an option for me.  I think my personal style is more Jungle, I like the big plants.  Iwagumis seem to work better with low carpeting plants to create a sense of scale and that works best with high light and CO2, which I can't do.  Also they seem to work best with lots of small shoaling fish which doesn't suit my stocking.  I can only dream about such a tank right now!

So I love the rocks but I think Josh is right, wood does work best with jungle-style planted tanks.  At the moment I'm picking up diverse ideas on everything I like from different styles and trying to fit it all into one 64 litre tank in a haphazard experiment!  It would probably work better if I concentrated on one style.  I'll give some thought to it and keep my eyes open for a bit of wood that would work well.

Thanks for your thoughts, it helps me to get mine in order!

Now that I've got it clear in my head that I'm aiming for a jungle style, I went ahead and got myself some more wood!

mopani2_zps3d895ddb.jpg

It's a bit bigger than I intended - it looked smaller in the shop!
tongue2.gif

My idea is to stand it upright against the corner of the tank behind where the rocks are. Then I plan to anchor a tall anubias to the base and smother it in christmass moss and java fern.

I'll try to get a picture of it in the tank soon but I will need to soak it VERY well before it can go in.

That's because I've got a problem with visibility in the tank, ever since I put the mopani arch in the water has darkened slightly (even though I did soak it for about 4 weeks) and the result is a very dim tank, along with:
  • low lighting
  • close proximity to large window & brightly lit room = loads of reflections
  • brighter evenings & sunnier days
  • tannin stained water
  • black background
means it's getting impossible to see inside the tank clearly.  :( 
I'm doing water changes every couple of days for now and hoping it clears up soon!

Bigger wood is better wood
wink.png

It will look great once it's in though, how much did it cost you?

It's a shame about the visibility, hopefully the frequent water changes will prove useful soon!

If not, then you might have to think about moving the tank to somewhere further away from the window :/

If you are looking to remove tannins, you can put carbon in your filter - this would be one of the times that carbon actually does help.

Personally, I like the look of tannins, but not being able to see in can be frustrating.

Josh - it cost about £5 from MA.  Not bad eh!

I am keeping in mind that the tank may have to move.  There's one other spot I can put it further back in the kitchen away from the window.  I'll see what it's like in the height of summer after the water is clear and make a decision then.

Of course if it does move then that gives me an excuse to get a new high-light tank where it is now...
wahey.gif
  I have lots of persuading to do before that will happen though!

Eagle - I actually have some carbon in the filter, I added it back during cycling to try to eliminate whatever was slowing the cycle down.  It's been in there about 6 weeks so it may be exhausted by now.  I think tannins use up carbon pretty quickly.  Good idea though, I will get myself some more.

I was willing to give the 'tannin' look a try because some people have said they liked it, unfortunately it really doesn't work in my tank.  I don't mind the colour but my lighting just isn't strong enough to carry it.

Yeah, 6 weeks and tannins in the water - that carbon is done.

daizeUK said:
Josh - it cost about £5 from MA.  Not bad eh!

I am keeping in mind that the tank may have to move.  There's one other spot I can put it further back in the kitchen away from the window.  I'll see what it's like in the height of summer after the water is clear and make a decision then.

Of course if it does move then that gives me an excuse to get a new high-light tank where it is now...
wahey.gif
  I have lots of persuading to do before that will happen though!

That's not bad at all... I thought my wood was a bargain when I got it off eBay but the postage was more than you've paid in total!

I'm sure it won't take that much persuading :p

Try and sit it out first though, moving everything can be annoying :)

A little photo update.

Quick photo of wood in the tank, as a quick test during a water change.  Excuse quality!
I'm actually really pleased with the size of the wood, it's not too big as I feared, it's exactly the size and shape I envisioned when I went shopping.

mopaniTest_zps20fdf7ae.jpg

I think I'd like to build up a bank on the left side of the tank at some point, rather than have a thin flat layer of sand all over.  That's a project for another day though.

Another photo of what the tank currently looks like while the wood continues to soak.  The cabomba is intended to be a temporary filler, if it survives long under my lighting I'll eat my underwear.

Tank18Apr_zps27dfaf83.jpg

daizeUK said:
A little photo update.

Quick photo of wood in the tank, as a quick test during a water change.  Excuse quality!
I'm actually really pleased with the size of the wood, it's not too big as I feared, it's exactly the size and shape I envisioned when I went shopping.

I think I'd like to build up a bank on the left side of the tank at some point, rather than have a thin flat layer of sand all over.  That's a project for another day though.

Another photo of what the tank currently looks like while the wood continues to soak.  The cabomba is intended to be a temporary filler, if it survives long under my lighting I'll eat my underwear.

The bank should look nice. 

As for the last comment. 
ohmy.png
   I was going to hope that your plants would stay nice and healthy, but given the sworn oath.... I don't know what to hope for anymore....
unsure.png

Most reactions

Back