Daize's First Tropical Fishtank

Great news, good luck with your fry!  Mine seem to be doing well so far, they were much better at hiding today than yesterday so they must be learning fast.

In other news, if I look closely I think I can see the beginning of some kind of greyish hair algae on my plants.  I guess I need to get my flow sorted out :/

I just read this all the way through. If only all newbies were as willing to learn and patient as you! Your tank looks just lovely, and your fish seem healthy and happy. Here's hoping a few fry survive, and I also think it's great you're not going crazy with breeding traps and all that but just letting nature take its course. I'll be watching your progress! 
coolx.gif

Thanks very much, you're very kind! :)  I feel I've come a long way from my original vision of fake ornaments and I really hope my attempt at live plants works out.  All the beautiful tanks on this forum have been a real inspiration to me and I want to keep trying and learning and make it better!

My husband tells me to stop messing with the tank and leave it alone now, haha, he's happy with it just as it is!  Which is good because he didn't want a fish tank in the first place but now he's enjoying looking at it too.

First tank maintenance and PWC today... being extra careful not to siphon up any fry!  There may be more in the tank than I think, I lifted up an ornament to hoover and there were three fry hiding underneath it.

Oh and... SNAIL! 
angry.png
  I thought I had been so careful to buy snail-free plants!  It didn't last long once I saw it lol

One of my mickey mouse females, Annie, has a small pale mark above her eye.  Not sure when it appeared or whether to be concerned about it.  Looks like a small scrape or perhaps it's just a mark she always had and I never noticed.

Here's a couple of fish pics

bravefry_zpsaf5d2446.jpg

Fish1_zps56eb9c97.jpg

Fish have been in for a full week now and appear to be well settled.  Today there was a lot of displaying and squabbles over supremacy as top dog (or fish).

I've been amazed at all the different fascinating behaviours that the fish are presenting.  I thought the fish would swim peacefully around the tank and be relaxing to watch but it's more like a soap opera :lol:  They each have their own distinct personalities and behaviour patterns and far more interesting than I expected.

Mickey has finally grasped that he is the only male in a tank of females and he has been puffed up like a balloon all day, showing off to the girls and displaying his finnage.  He does put on a magnificent display, it's fascinating to watch!  He seems to have forgotten that he was the least brave and last one to come out of hiding!

Poppy, the wagtail, is twice the size of any of the other fish and I was worried she might bully them.  It turns out she totally ignores them as if they are beneath her attention, doesn't interact socially and spends her entire time swimming up and down the glass as if she's desperate to escape into the empty space beyond.  Perhaps she's lonely for fish of her own size?  I'm keeping an eye on her left gill which seems to be sticking out slightly.

Annie is the largest of the mickey mouse females and easily the most dominant.  She and Mickey have been dancing circles around each other in a battle of who has the most impressive finnage, she's a feisty one and determined not to be cowed.  Go girl!

Beatrice is the most submissive and least confident of all the fish, probably because she is so pregnant she looks like she's swallowed a double decker bus.  These last two days she has mostly been hovering in one place with fins clamped and her birthing tube open.  I was sure she was going to pop last night but she's been the same again today.

Clarabel is the smallest fish, neither dominant nor submissive but very active and a keen explorer.  She seems to be the only female who wasn't pregnant on arrival and Mickey is bonking her mercilessly at every opportunity
blush.png

I would have gone and bought a sunset platy from the LFS today if I'd stuck to my original plan but the arrival of fry have put plans for new stock on hold.  I also noticed that the sunsets I was going to purchase were showing signs of damage to their tails.  Not sure if it's a disease or more likely the betta sharing their tank nipping fins but I'm not risking it.  Getting the quarantine tank in service is becoming more of a priority the more I think about it, I don't want to add any fish unless I can quarantine them.

All my plants seem to be doing well, better than I hoped for.  The dreaded great melt hasn't happened, at least not yet.

Elodea - seems very happy, has grown several inches and reached the top of the tank already.

Vallis - a few leaves have melted but not as badly as I feared.  There are lots of runners and new plants popping up already.  I fear I may have a dense forest of the stuff before long!

Java Fern - arrived with a few blackened leaves and I half-expected it would get worse since I've heard several stories of java fern browning and dying.  On the contrary, it seems no worse for wear and there is even a small plantlet forming on one of the blackened leaves.

Java Moss - seems to be thriving and is growing faster than I expected.

Crypts - have suffered slightly from lack of light initially, all the leaves were turned to the front glass to catch what little light they could and starting to show defects.  With the addition of my new light they're now turning upwards again so I'm hoping they will recover.

Limnophila - not had it so long but this is a fascinating plant!  The fronds are almost animal in the way they turn to the light and the tips even seem to close up at night like daisies.  I'm concerned that my low-tech tank won't allow it to thrive in the long run but it seems to be happy so far.

That's my soap-opera update for the week :)

Plz I need help bought a new fish ta daughter 5g has two 15g filters grav carbon n regular Bio filter four glow plants n a small cave for the Pleco four glow fish 6 neon two pleco n 8 shrimps everything was done to da instructions bought da water tester is safe n now I have to keep replaci fishes before she notice der dying s cry its becoming to expensive. And why but dey keep dying now der on glow fish one neon n two pleco. We fish store had my money refunded da purchase since my tank n fishes tested n all was good plz help der s slowy dying n I'm affraid my daughter gana find out I can takes pictures if dat will help plaza just any advice .will be helpful n appreciated

lifeisgood1023 said:
Plz I need help bought a new fish ta daughter 5g has two 15g filters grav carbon n regular Bio filter four glow plants n a small cave for the Pleco four glow fish 6 neon two pleco n 8 shrimps everything was done to da instructions bought da water tester is safe n now I have to keep replaci fishes before she notice der dying s cry its becoming to expensive. And why but dey keep dying now der on glow fish one neon n two pleco. We fish store had my money refunded da purchase since my tank n fishes tested n all was good plz help der s slowy dying n I'm affraid my daughter gana find out I can takes pictures if dat will help plaza just any advice .will be helpful n appreciated

First, you should have started your own post in Fish Emergencies, instead of hijacking this post. 

You have a ridiculous amount of fish for a 5g tank. I'm reasonably certain your filter was not cycled before you put all these fish in the tank, so the waste from all of them is killing them. Stop replacing the fish. They'll just keep dying and you'll have to keep deceiving your daughter. I would bring all these fish back to the fish store, then start cycling your filter as described here

I'm sorry you're going through these troubles, but the setup you have will not survive as you have it. None of the fish except the shrimp could survive long in a tiny tank, and even the shrimp need a mature tank to survive.

Thanks for da help dis da first I deal with fish Neva had any n fees a reason for da fish her doctor recommended it for her therapy another resonance why she needs to think everything ok sorry for writtin here didn't noe how this work just needed advice n thank u

I think it's my fault for choosing such a generic title for my thread!  It makes it sound like a good place for anyone who has their first tropical fish tank to make a post :).  I wonder if a mod could change the title for me to "Daize's first tropical fish tank" or something?

This Old Spouse said:
I just read this all the way through. If only all newbies were as willing to learn and patient as you! Your tank looks just lovely, and your fish seem healthy and happy. Here's hoping a few fry survive, and I also think it's great you're not going crazy with breeding traps and all that but just letting nature take its course. I'll be watching your progress! 
coolx.gif

kewlpics.gif
I agree with This Old Spouse, lovely looking aquarium, keep up the good work and enjoy the journey.
applaud.gif.gif

Thanks! :)

The fry are a week old now and there's still at least a couple hiding in the tank, although I siphoned one up during a pwc vac today
blush.png
 but the poor little fella seemed alright so I popped him back again, hope he'll be okay.

Just stopping by to say your tank looks great and you've done a really good job with it :).

Beatrice is looking suspiciously slim today and Mickey is suddenly showing interest in her.  She must have dropped her fry last night but there's no sign of the little guys anywhere.  I've seen one of Poppy's brood still alive and well but I don't think any of the new kids made it... maybe that's why none of the fish seemed hungry at breakfast this morning, oh dear!

Everything is still going well, the fish all seem happy and they're a pleasure to watch.  I'm very glad I didn't do a fish-in cycle.  It means a lot to me to have happy fish showing natural behaviour and actively exploring the tank.  I feel like doing a bit of research has opened up a whole new world that I would have missed out on if I'd stuck a couple of goldfish in a bowl.

You may find some fry yet, but I'm just so glad to hear you went this route and have some happy, healthy fish!

Most reactions

Back