Daize's First Tropical Fishtank

Hi, we have a tropical fish tank that is now 6 weeks old and have put a few guppys in, now it has started to cycle, can't seem to get the water clear, doing water changes, can anyone help please x

How big are those water changes, and how frequent, Joanne?

@essjay - you were right, after standing for 24 hours my tapwater is up to 8.2 pH. Phew that's quite a change!

@joanne - Hi there! Can I suggest that you will probably get more help for your specific problem if you start your own thread so that the helpful people on this forum can discuss your setup in detail, I will be really interested to see what answer you get to your problem because it's the sort of thing I might be asking myself in a few weeks
smile.png
But for now, we might both find it less confusing if our threads aren't getting crossed as I keep popping back to chat about my tank!

Day 8 of fishless cycling and no sign of nitrites.

I know I'm supposed to be patient but I'm getting a little fidgety. I was prepared for cycling to take a long time but I'd feel much happier if it would at least get started!

Water parameters and additives
Ammonia 4ppm (dosed using BioMature)
Nitrite 0
NitrAte 50ppm (same as tapwater)
Chlorine 0
pH 8.2
GH/KH 16+
Temp 26 degC (have just turned this up to 28 to try to speed it up)
Interpet FilterStart added once every 2 days as per instructions.

I started to worry that something was wrong so I did some research into how long it takes for nitrItes to appear. I've heard reports of everything between 3-16 days, so maybe I shouldn't be concerned yet.

The odd thing is that I do seem to have ideal conditions for the bacteria to grow, as they thrive in hard alkaline water, so I might have expected things to get started sooner in my particular instance. I can't see anything that would be slowing the process down.

I'm a bit dubious about the effects of FilterStart (it came free with the tank). Nobody has said good things about it and nobody seems to know whether it uses the right species of bacteria. I am tempted to try a different brand, like Bacterlife.

My tank does get a fair bit of natural and artificial light and I read that the bacteria doesn't like light, so maybe that's the problem. Any other ideas?

Day 8 of fishless cycling and no sign of nitrites.

I know I'm supposed to be patient but I'm getting a little fidgety. I was prepared for cycling to take a long time but I'd feel much happier if it would at least get started!

Water parameters and additives
Ammonia 4ppm (dosed using BioMature)
Nitrite 0
NitrAte 50ppm (same as tapwater)
Chlorine 0
pH 8.2
GH/KH 16+
Temp 26 degC (have just turned this up to 28 to try to speed it up)
Interpet FilterStart added once every 2 days as per instructions.

I started to worry that something was wrong so I did some research into how long it takes for nitrItes to appear. I've heard reports of everything between 3-16 days, so maybe I shouldn't be concerned yet.

The odd thing is that I do seem to have ideal conditions for the bacteria to grow, as they thrive in hard alkaline water, so I might have expected things to get started sooner in my particular instance. I can't see anything that would be slowing the process down.

I'm a bit dubious about the effects of FilterStart (it came free with the tank). Nobody has said good things about it and nobody seems to know whether it uses the right species of bacteria. I am tempted to try a different brand, like Bacterlife.

My tank does get a fair bit of natural and artificial light and I read that the bacteria doesn't like light, so maybe that's the problem. Any other ideas?

If the filter isn't in direct light, then don't worry about it.

My nitrites appeared in a few days but it will vary from person to person. To get an idea of how long a cycle takes, mine took 90 days (3 months), though yours could be faster or slower, who knows! ;)

With the bacteria in a bottle stuff, I used two brands; API quick start and Nutracycle (I think that's what it was called) and neither of them seemed to make a difference so I'm dubious about these types of products. If you have some disposable income then you could try the bacterlife, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

The only things you can do to speed things up is raise the temperature (which you've already done) and/or get hold of some mature filter media and add it to your new media to 'seed' the bacteria. Also, some people say that adding some gravel from a mature tank can help seed bacteria but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks KCB :)
I think I will give it 2 weeks and perhaps try to scrounge some mature brown muck if nothing happens by then.

In the meantime I have been keeping myself amused by playing with my new toys in the tank... lol I know I should leave it alone but couldn't resist trying out my new siphon. I figured I needed to get the hang of it before there are any poor fish in the tank to suffer with my inexperience! And a magnetic glass scrubber, my tank is squeaky clean again! :D

It's been a long, strange journey but three months later I've finally got fish in my tank!  Can't believe how much I've learned along the way, it's not that long ago I wouldn't have known a guppy from a danio.

The scape is starting to take shape, I've made quite a lot of changes from my original concept.  I decided I didn't like the way play sand compacts so I got rid of it and just kept the brown aquarium sand.  The white rocks didn't really look right and felt too much like a marine ornament so they've gone away into my quarantine tank along with most of the plastic plants.  I've got some grey landscape rock in its place.  The fake log probably won't be staying either, I've got a piece of real mopani which will be going in after soaking.

I'm having a go at growing several live plants including vallis, java fern, crypts, java moss and a bit of egeria densa (not my favourite but I needed something to fill the back while I source some hornwort or limnophila).  I'm dosing trace ferts but the lighting in this tank is really pitiful so I'm fully expecting them to all die!  It will be trial and error for a while to find out what can survive.  [Ignore the plastic basket, it's just holding some surplus java moss until I get around to doing something with it!]

tankMar_zpsd859682f.jpg

Current stock is five platies including four small red mickey mouse and one red wagtail (Poppy, the big boss :))  Oh yes, all the fish have already been named by the kids so I'm praying they survive the night.  There's Mickey (of course
rolleyes.gif
 ) and his harem Annie, Beatrice and Clarabel.  Clarabel is the little orange one, Beatrice is shy and Annie is bold and likes to play in the current.  I'm planning to give them a week to settle in and then I want to add one or two sunset platies, followed by guppies a few weeks later.

I was a bit concerned that the flow in the tank is a bit strong for them so I've turned it down a bit.  They seem to enjoy swimming where the current is strong but then occasionally go back to rest behind the log.  I'm trying to strike a balance between surface agitation, flow for the plants and not exhausting the fish.

I hope they'll be okay in their new home!  The bag they came in was full of ammonia and nitrates so hopefully some fresh water will be a relief to them.  Can't help worrying about them.

Hi Daize,

Congratulations on finally getting there. Great news!

It is amazing what you learn on the way right enough. To think a few months ago I knew nothing about fish keeping.

The tank is looking great. I look forward to seeing it once you've put the mopani in too.

Enjoy.

Thanks David

I've got the mopani soaking but my other half says it is too big for the tank and it won't look right.  I'm not sure anymore.  When it's ready, I'll give it a try and ask for some advice from you lot to see if you think it works or not.

I've decided to get rid of the 'cool blue moon' light that came on the left side of the tank.  It doesn't look right, it makes the plants look super fake (even the real ones!) and washes out the red colours of my fish.  It doesn't help the plants grow either, so I think my crypts on the dark left side of the tank will die if I don't get another daylight bulb.

Here's another picture of the full tank

tankfullshot_zps7d519dcc.jpg

Very happy to see you with fish in a cycled tank.

I have always believed that the only person who has to like the way their tank looks is the owner. If you are happy with your tank, that is all that matters.

Cheers mate,
I'm very happy watching the fish swim around their new home.  I've already spent countless hours in front of the tank watching them!  All five seem to have settled in and are actively swimming around and exploring the tank.  They seem happy and even the shy ones are gaining confidence and spending more time in open water, so I'm very pleased.

My ammonia and nitrite have been good solid zeroes each day so far.  The fact that the bag they came in had between 0.5ppm - 1ppm ammonia makes me think they must be much happier here than they were in the shop.  They weren't in the bag for more than 30-40 minutes so I guess that means the conditions at the store aren't that great.

The tank layout isn't finished, I think it's a nice start but I need to fill out more plants on the left hand side and get rid of the fake stuff.  I have some plans in mind but I need to improve the lighting first.  I'll give everything a week or two to settle in and get established before I start mucking about with it.

I just noticed from comparing the two pictures that my java moss has coloured up and there's a bit of growth on the elodea already, so I'll take that as a good sign.

And Mickey was making inappropriate advances to Clarabel this evening.  I'm shocked!  She looks too young for that sort of thing lol :lol:

Oh my God there are fry in the tank this morning... I had no idea any of the fish were pregnant!  Well I thought they might be pregnant from the shop but I didn't realise they were heavily pregnant.

I spotted at least three tiny fry, mostly hiding in the moss near the back of the tank.  I hope they manage to survive, it would be so lovely.

I think this must be the mother, Poppy, this was a picture I took of her day before yesterday (excuse poor quality), we thought she looked a little bit fat but no idea she was about to pop.

PregnantPoppy_zps06d112b5.jpg

Well at risk of boring everyone, I like posting photos so here's another update :p

I've spent the day fretting over my new fry

Fry1_zpsa3c97f4c.jpg

Lol having a fish tank was lovely and relaxing until they dropped fry, now I can't help feeling anxious about them!  I knew what was coming and I'd already decided not to use a breeder trap, I thought it better to just provide cover in the main tank and let nature take its course.  But these are my first fry and I really wanted them to live!!! :lol:  I could hardly bear to watch the tiny things get chased around the tank and I saw one exhausted fry get eaten alive.  There were two left by afternoon but I've not seen them since so they've either learned to hide really well or they're all goners.

I tried to help them by making sure the adults were well fed but I might have done more harm than good since every time I opened the lid the adults went hunting around the tank in a feeding frenzy.  I had no idea how to give the fry food without attracting unwanted attention from the adults as well.

There's no lack of hiding spaces in the tank but the silly little beggars seem to like playing russian roulette swimming around in open water.  I even went out and bought a limnophila to give them extra cover (it's the light green plant in the middle of the back of the tank).  I bought a second daylight bulb as well so the tank is much brighter now and moved the plants around a little.  This is today's picture:

Tank18Mar_zps81f53bf7.jpg

Beatrice looks heavily pregnant as well so even if these don't survive, I guess I will have more soon enough.  I'd love to have some home-grown fish in the tank.

Congratulations on your new fry! You seem to have a few hiding places so a few may well survive! They're hardier than you think. I kept guppies a good few years ago and they used to pop up unexpectedly from time to time so my population steadily grew! If you can manage to catch them you could quarantine them until they get a bit bigger but you may find enough of them manage to steer clear of the adults to get to a non eatable size. Also, nature will always end up taking its course so trying to save lots will likely end up with you having too many for your tank.

Enjoy the experience though!

Thanks Jetman!  I spotted three of them hiding amid the vallis this morning, which means there must have been at least four yesterday, so I guess you are right, maybe there are a few good hiders in there!

Congrats Daize. Exciting times. I too discovered my first fry today. Glowlight tetra. Looks around the same size as yours. I am equally worried but also decided to let nature take its course rather than get a breeding trap. Only time will tell. Good luck with yours.

David

Most reactions

Back