Cycling

Jay22

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have set up my tank and this weekend I am planning to get a betta. I have 2 questions.

I am using a top fin 10 power filter, and I took out the carbon catridge. I watched a video and I replaced it with 1 inch of polyfiber and 1 inch of ceramic rings. Will this support a betta and a snail in a 10 gallon tank?

Also, I used api tap water conditioner when putting my water in. I plan to buy prime and do a fish in cycle. I currently will add the bottle of Dr tims nitrifying bacteria in my tank, then wait an hour or so to add my fish. I have a tester kit, so I will test for an ammonia spike. what do I if it spikes? And am I cycling right?

Thank you

Um, no... a fish-in cycle is very hard on the fish, and honestly very cruel. While the nitrifying bacteria might help to speed up the cycle, this does not cut down on injuries made by doing a fish-in cycle. Wait at least 2 weeks after you have consistent readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite. PLEASE, do not be cruel to the fish by doing a fish-in cycle.

See these articles:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433769-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-i/
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433778-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-il/

I think I am not the only one on this forum who would be utterly shocked by your wanting to do a fish-in cycle, which, as I previously stated, is cruel. Please do not do this to your fish.

A single male betta in a 10 gallon filtered tank? The bioload is so low, even before the addition of supplemental bacteria, that I think you will be fine, just add a 25-30% weekly water change. Don't over feed, get yourself some easy live plants, and you should have a happy healthy betta for years. Now if you are going to turn this into a heavily stocked community tank I would go with a fishless cycle first. I have four male bettas, each in their own 10 gallon tank, that have been happy and healthy for years. Now they all have well matured sponge filters harboring beneficial bacteria but I started following your plan. Your snail may not have much to eat until your system matures. Testing for ammonia or nitrite spikes and supplemental bacteria are all to the good, the addition of Prime to your tank and any water changes even better. Often Bettas are kept in unfiltered quarters, though an increase in water changes is necessary.

David

Will my filter work to colonize enough bacteria, or do I need a differant one?

I think I am not the only one on this forum who would be utterly shocked by your wanting to do a fish-in cycle, which, as I previously stated, is cruel. Please do not do this to your fish.
I agree, and disagree.

If the OP can get some cycled Sponge and media and some live plants including floating ones it can be done.

15wl6bt.jpg

I think your filter will be fine, but as NickAu rightly suggested, if you could obtain some cycled or "used" media from an established healthy tank, preferably the ceramic rings but even some gravel in a mesh bag until your tank is cycled that would give you a leg up on a successful stable tank. I use sponge filters that have two donut shaped sponges stacked. To start a new tank I simply use a donut sponge from an established tank as one of the sponges in the new tank. The established tank gets the other new sponge, and everyone is happy. Sponge filters are not the prettiest, require imaginative landscaping to "hide" and take up in tank space so I would stick with the filter you have.

Plants are a natural balance for your fish's bioload, some floating water plants such as Water Sprite or some Java Ferns that don't require planting (rhizome actually should never be planted) would be great. I love duckweed, a nitrate magnet, but it will annoy the heck out of you with your HOB filter and likely gunk it up continually.

Still a single Betta in a 10 gallon filtered tank with weekly 25-30% water changes I think is a very low bioload.

David

DWC said:
A single male betta in a 10 gallon filtered tank? The bioload is so low, even before the addition of supplemental bacteria, that I think you will be fine, just add a 25-30% weekly water change. Don't over feed, get yourself some easy live plants, and you should have a happy healthy betta for years. Now if you are going to turn this into a heavily stocked community tank I would go with a fishless cycle first. I have four male bettas, each in their own 10 gallon tank, that have been happy and healthy for years. Now they all have well matured sponge filters harboring beneficial bacteria but I started following your plan. Your snail may not have much to eat until your system matures. Testing for ammonia or nitrite spikes and supplemental bacteria are all to the good, the addition of Prime to your tank and any water changes even better. Often Bettas are kept in unfiltered quarters, though an increase in water changes is necessary.

David
A single betta in a ten-gallon is a low bio load, but its still better if you still do the fishless cycle. Its hard to tell just by looking how much a fish is suffering, and its better safe then sorry.

Most reactions

Back