cycling with live plants

jerenycool

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i just got some live plants to put in my tank but it is still cycling so can i put them in there? all the levels of stuff r vairying right now? the tank has been cycling sicne yesterday?

wish i knew i'm in the same boat but my fish book says to add the plants as u're filling the tank so i think it's ok but that's coming from :S a clueless fish owner

i know co2 helps them but my ph nitrite alkalinity hardness and nitrate levels r not safe and they keep moving. can i put medicine in the tank will its is still cycling?

theres no need to put live plants in just yet.......let the tank cycle for a couple of weeks then add plants to make sure they are healthy for when ur fish are added......anno its borin lookin at an empty tank but it'll be worth the wait in the end

Tek :fish:

I thought it would be a good idea to put plants in now. First it will give them chance to get established before they get mauled by plant eating fish and secondly whilst cycling any plant material will breakdown and rot producing ammonia hence driving the cycle as more food for bacteria to use.

I am by no means an expert, I'm not even a beginner yet. I have been looking after a small 10 Gal tank, but recently I have upsized to a 38Gal tank. I am in the same position as a lot of you guys. Just got set-up and at the start of cycling.

When putting in the plants make sure they have a good root system, preferably they should be rooted in a little pot with rockwool. it's worth paying more of these properly rooted system, they look better (healthier) and in the long run last longer.

As for using Carbon Dioxide, how would you use it? i have seen Co2 aeration used in tomato hydroponic setups before, but would introducing co2 into the water defeat the purpose of aeration?

Best thing for plants is good lighting (full spectrum if poss) and the right food, with this ya cani go wrong.

No harm in putting the live plants now. Have you put any stuff like Stress-zyme to introduce friendly bacteria?

It is also better to put a few hardy fish a little later into the tank to help it cycle faster.

Take a look at Cycling an Aquarium

I used live plants to cycle my tank. They work great, they introduce alot of beneficial bacteria, etc right away, I never really even had a normal cycling period, There was never more than 1 ppm ammonia and never any nitrites/nitrates.

If your wondering, the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate benifit the plants, they help them grow better. So adding plants early not only helps you get bennifitial bacteria, but they also help out with filtration, and grow better while their at it.

Most reactions

Back