Cycling tank slow now going backwards!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jenny32

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I am using fluval cycle to help cycle 90 litre tank. Attached is a record of everything I have done. Can anyone see where I am going wrong? I think the first time I added ammonia, I added too much. Also maybe let Nitrite levels get too high.
Screenshot_20210527-185421_Sheets.jpg

Any advice? My family keep asking why we can't get fish yet!

Is there anything in your aquarium currently like plants, substrate,decorations?

My only guess is that there can be something else rotting in the aquarium that is also producing ammonia on top of the ammonia you are already adding to the aquarium.

Is there anything in your aquarium currently like plants, substrate,decorations?

My only guess is that there can be something else rotting in the aquarium that is also producing ammonia on top of the ammonia you are already adding to the aquarium.
Gravel, fake plants and bogwood. That's all I have put in.

What kind of ammonia and water conditioner did you use?
What is the tank temp?
What kind of test kit are you using?

Water conditioner is API tap water conditioner 1ml for 20 litres of tap water.
Ammonia is knockout household ammonia
Temp about 26-27 Celsius
Api master test kit

I think the ammonia is ok as it says contains 5-9% ammonia. The testing is tricky to be sure its accurate but don't think i am far out with the results.

I can't find any ingredient list for that particular ammonia, but if it has any added substances (perfumes, surfactants, degreasers), it will not work...it has to be pure ammonium hydroxide, and water

I can't find any ingredient list for that particular ammonia, but if it has any added substances (perfumes, surfactants, degreasers), it will not work...it has to be pure ammonium hydroxide, and water
Yeah I am tempted to try a different ammonia source just in case. But I have a large bottle and a few reviews on amazon have said it worked well for cycling. So not sure

Gravel, fake plants and bogwood. That's all I have put in.
The dogwood could potentially cause ammonia when it decomposes. But should not cause the ammonia to spike to an extreme level.

I would just say keep adding the same amount of ml of ammonia every time you add some to the aquarium. test 24 hours later to see what the levels are after you added the ammonia, and then watch and see if the levels start to rise or decrease.

You could be potentially overdosing the aquarium by accident.

One easy test you can do is to is to shake the bottle if it is not pure it foam will collect on top. of the liquid. Or you can get and ammonia chloride solution intended for tank cycling.

The dogwood could potentially cause ammonia when it decomposes. But should not cause the ammonia to spike to an extreme level.

I would just say keep adding the same amount of ml of ammonia every time you add some to the aquarium. test 24 hours later to see what the levels are after you added the ammonia, and then watch and see if the levels start to rise or decrease.

Yeah i'll continue to do that and post the results. Thanks

Most of Scotland has very soft water, low KH and low pH. These are not the ideal conditions for cycling, unfortunately - though they are ideal conditions for soft water fish once the tank is cycled. Cycling will take a while, I'm afraid.

As a side issue, do you mean API Tap Water Conditioner? The dose for that is 1 ml per 20 gallons, not 1 ml per 20 litres - did you mis-type or have you been using it at 1 ml per 20 litres? Overdosing shouldn't affect the cycle, but it will impact your wallet.

Most of Scotland has very soft water, low KH and low pH. These are not the ideal conditions for cycling, unfortunately - though they are ideal conditions for soft water fish once the tank is cycled. Cycling will take a while, I'm afraid.

As a side issue, do you mean API Tap Water Conditioner? The dose for that is 1 ml per 20 gallons, not 1 ml per 20 litres - did you mis-type or have you been using it at 1 ml per 20 litres? Overdosing shouldn't affect the cycle, but it will impact your wallet.
Thanks, my tap water is really low in Kh and General hardness is low too. I have just tested ammonia and it is now at 0.25/0.5 so good news it went down but bad news it took 4 days to go down. Going by history it won't get to zero any time soon. Nitrites are plus 2 and hard to tell how much higher, if they go down slower than ammonia then guess I better just let it do it's thing for quite a while. Ill maybe not top up with ammonia for a wee while also.

Are you following the method on here? That was written so that nitrite can never get high enough to stall the cycle.

Nitrite should continue to go up as ammonia falls, and when you add more ammonia it will make even more nitrite. Then it will start to come down.
With your very soft water, I would test for pH at the same time as ammonia and nitrite ans both nitrite and later nitrate are acidic and can use up all the KH. When that happens there is nothing to keep pH stable and it will drop.

When I did a fishless cycle, it took almost 4 weeks for ammonia to finally reach zero, and 7 weeks to complete.

Thanks, my tap water is really low in Kh and General hardness is low too. I have just tested ammonia and it is now at 0.25/0.5 so good news it went down but bad news it took 4 days to go down. Going by history it won't get to zero any time soon. Nitrites are plus 2 and hard to tell how much higher, if they go down slower than ammonia then guess I better just let it do it's thing for quite a while. Ill maybe not top up with ammonia for a wee while als

I was going for the bit that said to detoxify chloramines, which is 3ml per 60 litres. Maybe that is a mistake?

Most reactions

Back