Cycled Tank

boonc

Reaction score
My tank has just finished a fish-in cycle.

I added 7 neon tetras 2 days ago and so far the water stats are still perfect - If I was going to see a pike due to the new fish when would this be most likely - how long do I need to wait before adding some more fish?

A spike will make itself apparent within 24-48hrs I reckon. If you have stocked to 75% as recommended for an initial level after having just cycled, I would wait at least a month before adding more fish - from now - GRADUALLY build your stocking up. Your tank is far from being mature still, so the best advice to take on board is to take things SLOWLY

Andy

A spike will make itself apparent within 24-48hrs I reckon. If you have stocked to 75% as recommended for an initial level after having just cycled, I would wait at least a month before adding more fish - from now - GRADUALLY build your stocking up. Your tank is far from being mature still, so the best advice to take on board is to take things SLOWLY

Andy

Nice 1 Andy, think there's a bit of a typo there tho mate with 75%, it's usually 25%, but the rest is great advice.
Also I've found that people who are just starting to cycle a tank are tempted to clean the filters about every week, as long as the flow is ok, and the water stats, they are best left to get on with maturing, and a good Bio colony established, a slight clean about once a month, or recommended pad change, on a day where no other tank maintenence is being carried out seems to work imo.

Cheers and good luck,

Dave.

Andy

Nice 1 Andy, think there's a bit of a typo there tho mate with 75%, it's usually 25%, but the rest is great advice.
Also I've found that people who are just starting to cycle a tank are tempted to clean the filters about every week, as long as the flow is ok, and the water stats, they are best left to get on with maturing, and a good Bio colony established, a slight clean about once a month, or recommended pad change, on a day where no other tank maintenence is being carried out seems to work imo.

Cheers and good luck,

Dave.

I think he must have read it as fishless-cycle, which is where the 75% comes from, but this person did a fish-in cycle.

Squid

Most reactions

Back