Cycle Crashing

jackthelad

Reaction score
Hi, everyone im new to tis forum but i have been on another forum since i started my cycle almost three months ago my tank has been cycled now for about seven weeks but i havnt added fish yet as i have just moved house and didnt want to put the fish through the stress of moving as the tap water in the new house is totally different to my old house.Since the move my tank ph has crashed from ph 8.0 to 6.0 in the first week and my kh seems to be dropping rather quickly i did almost full water change last week to get it back to normal but i have been testing the ph and kh everyday since then this morning the ph was 7.8 and the kh was 0

my tank holds 70l fluval 2 plus filter and a rena smart heater
sand substrate plastic plants small piece of bogwood and a few ornaments

tap water stats for my old house is as follows
ph 7.8
nitrate 20-40mg/l
gh 12
kh 9

tap water from my new house
ph 8.0
nitrate omg/l
gh 8
kh 6

tank water stats today
ph 7.8
nitrite processing in less than twelve hours
ammonia processing in less than twelve hours
nitrate 80mg/l
kh 0
gh7

I WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR SOME HELP HERE AS I FEEL LIKE PACKING THE WHOLE THING IN.

Hi, everyone im new to tis forum but i have been on another forum since i started my cycle almost three months ago my tank has been cycled now for about seven weeks but i havnt added fish yet as i have just moved house and didnt want to put the fish through the stress of moving as the tap water in the new house is totally different to my old house.Since the move my tank ph has crashed from ph 8.0 to 6.0 in the first week and my kh seems to be dropping rather quickly i did almost full water change last week to get it back to normal but i have been testing the ph and kh everyday since then this morning the ph was 7.8 and the kh was 0

ph 7.8
nitrate 20-40mg/l
gh 12
kh 9

ph 8.0
nitrate omg/l
gh 8
kh 6

tank water stats today
ph 7.8
nitrate 80mg/l
kh 0
gh7

I WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR SOME HELP HERE AS I FEEL LIKE PACKING THE WHOLE THING IN.

ph 7.8
nitrate 20-40mg/l
gh 12
kh 9

ph 8.0
nitrate omg/l
gh 8
kh 6

tank water stats today
ph 7.8
nitrate 80mg/l
kh 0
gh7

and your adding ammonia??

Oh my, yes! You haven't mentioned what ppm of ammonia you are bringing the water back up to each day. You may need to look in our "New to the Hobby" forum and read the "pinned" articles at the top of that forum. The fishless cycling article written by rdd1952 is our main working document.

If you are indeed using ammonia then you may need to use some small amounts of baking soda (not baking powder!), starting with only a single teaspoon in your small 70L and cautiously re-measuring KH and pH the next day to see if you have brought the KH and pH up a little bit. A pH of 8.0 to 8.4 seems to be ideal for growing the two species of bacteria we want in the biofilter.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back