Cross-Breeding Fish.

There's absolutely no way a zebra and a giraffe could hybridise, even with AI, I can assure you!

Zebras and giraffes aren't even in the same order, let alone family or species! Zebras are Perissodactyla and giraffes are Artiodactyla.

Flutter i dont think you know what your talking about like at all theres many accounts of proven breedings between the two, here are some links to prove to you.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AamUmErPfU4/Tk1Fu1iyMaI/AAAAAAAAASM/SRAtOZuSXsk/s1600/g+zebra.png
http://rookery.s3.amazonaws.com/1377000/1377472_631d_625x1000.jpg
http://rookery.s3.amazonaws.com/2391000/2391386_1688_625x1000.jpg

Nah im just playing with you :p i dont think theres such a thing as a zebra/giraffe. Maybe what you saw was a horse/zebra mix?

Maybe they painted the giraffe? If it was such a cheap zoo how could they afford to do artificial insemination experiments?

Dmbandstef said:
Maybe they painted the giraffe? If it was such a cheap zoo how could they afford to do artificial insemination experiments?
It's not a zoo, it's a museum now run by the Natural History Museum, although it started off independently from them. The animal in question will have been a stuffed exhibit.

Anyway, I've emailed them to clarify the situation; I'll post their reply as soon as I hear back from them
smile.png

I'm still putting money on it being an okapi
wink.png

fluttermoth said:
It's not a zoo, it's a museum now run by the Natural History Museum, although it started off independently from them. The animal in question will have been a stuffed exhibit.Anyway, I've emailed them to clarify the situation; I'll post their reply as soon as I hear back from them :)I'm still putting money on it being an okapi ;)
I think its an okapi too, i was TRYING to be funny!

Dmbandstef said:
I think its an okapi too, i was TRYING to be funny!
blush.png

Sorry, I missed the joke...I've been arguing with creationists all morning

blush.png

I think you may have gone off at a tangent trying to prove or disprove zebra-giraffes but missed my point entirely?

I know this is completely irrelevant to what you guys are talking about but can any colour of Platy breed with any other? I have lots of males and I'm receiving females so should these guys be okay mating or not as different colours?

blueboy1 said:
I know this is completely irrelevant to what you guys are talking about but can any colour of Platy breed with any other? I have lots of males and I'm receiving females so should these guys be okay mating or not as different colours?
It is best, from a colour point of view, to keep the strains separate, but they can all breed together and produce healthy fry.

I am not so sure about interspecies breeding being an impossibility with divergent species. I think humans and jackasses do interbreed. If it were not the case, explain why there are so many terminally stupid people out there?  And they can reproduce. :p

No only can different color morphs and strains of platys or swordtails interbreed. The platys and swords themselves will do so. Folks who breed wild swordtails keep them in tanks in different parts of the room because they are excellent jumpers and can leap between tanks given the opportunity.

Just for completeness sake, here's the reply I had;

Thank you for your enquiry.

I imagine it would be very difficult for a zebra and a giraffe to mate. We do indeed have an okapi and a quagga in our collection, though we do not have a zebra/giraffe hybrid.

I'm guessing your friend is either thinking of an okapi, or is pulling your leg.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Amy Trafford

Museum Support Assistant

(And I did get your point about there being some very weird hybrids about, coolie!)

For what it's worth, about 20 years ago I had a friend with a cichlid tank (remembering that 20 years ago I had no idea about fish so please don't ask what sort of cichlids they were).  After several successful breeding episodes, he asked a LFS if they would like the offspring, and was told that since they were likely cross-bred they had no sale value.

Most Rift Valley cichlids will hybridise extremely readily, as they only diverged from a common ancestor very recently; around 15 000 years for the Victorians.

In the wild, they are separated either geographically  (as they occupy 'islands' of shallower, warmer waters and don't tend to cross the colder, deeper areas) or by the occupation of an small ecological niche, but in tanks, especially if there are no available mates of their own species, they can easily cross breed with each other.

My mum used to keep mbuna, and was always getting annoyed because so many shops had tanks of 'mixed/assorted Rift Valley cichlids' when she was trying to source specific species!

Damn foiled again! However I was just a child at the time. But they do have a Zebra / Horse hybrid and many other hybrids which I'm really surprised they didn't tell you about in the email. It was Rothschilds own collection of the bizarre, weird and wonderful, and things forced to be bizarre where nature didn't intend it.

Most reactions

Back