Crack In Tank!

julia298

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a crack in my quarantine tank which currently has 2 fish I dont want to put in main tank yet.

The crack is slowly ( a tiny bit each day) spreading diagonally downwards and water is leaking out.

Is there something you can get to mend the glass and if so can you do it with fish in tank.

hopefully one of the topics here will help you.
I doubt that any repair could be done with fish in the tank still

If you had some aquarium silicon handy and some glass or plastic sheet you could reinforce it on the outside if your not to botherd about looks, just make sure you bed the silicone down real well and then fix or replace it later,

Whatever repair you attempt, the tank needs to be empty unfortunately. The silicone used to effect the repair will not cure if there is water leaking through the crack, however little this may be.

how big are the 2 fish?

Its cracking from top to bottom.

The 2 fish are dwarf gouramis.

Its a 25litre tank and its down to about 3/4 full because of leak.

Do lfs usually sell silicone?

you could find a large tupperware, fill it with some tank water and transfer the guoramis to it for a while

be sure to stick your heater in there too, if you can

Sorry to play devils advocate, but after 2 days, why havnt you bought a cheap tank ? Wilcos do one for less than 5 quid ! Failing that, Ikea and other DIY stores do storage bins that are also handy in these emergencies... handy for storing all the fishkeeping tat in too ! :hey:

Sorry to play devils advocate, but after 2 days, why havnt you bought a cheap tank ? Wilcos do one for less than 5 quid ! Failing that, Ikea and other DIY stores do storage bins that are also handy in these emergencies... handy for storing all the fishkeeping tat in too ! :hey:

If Id known that I wouldve got a £5 tank straight away. Thanks. Never thought of storage bins.:huh:

Can anyone tell me how long Id need to leave the fish out of the tank if I did try fixing it? How long does silicon take to dry?

Most reactions

Back