Could someone please verify my levels

OK, knowing this data, there are some important issues here that you should resolve. I am going to explain the issues, the resolution is your task.

First on the nitrate...you will obviously not get nitrate below what is in the tap water so that is a given, but 7.5 (presumably ppm) is workable. But you need to do everything to keep nitrate from increasing. All fish are negatively impacted by nitrate, though it is slower acting. It now appears to most biologists that nitrate slowly weakens fish, making them less resilient and thus more susceptible to other issues (health) they would otherwise be able to easily handle. Ways to minimize nitrate occurring in the aquarium include live plants, especially fast growers and floating plants are best here, not overstocking, not overfeeding, substantial water changes regularly, keeping the filter clean, vacuum the substrate at each water change.

Second issue is the stocking. You have fish requiring very different environmental aspects, including temperature and water current. The weather loach is a real problem, this fish will get huge and needs at minimum a 4-foot/120 cm long tank. It will eat smaller fish. You would be best to find a new home for this fish ASAP, as it will continue becoming more problematic.

Frogs and fish should not be in the same tank. You have already seen the frogs eating habits, and this can suddenly worsen to the point they starve. As you need to reduce the amount of food entering the tank, significantly reduce, this is only going to get worse.

The hillstream loaches should have a small group. They need flowing cool water, and lots of algae.

The guppies are a problem, being harder water requiring. They will struggle to survive, and may do so for quite a time.
I was on the understanding that weather loaches were friendly, he is about 4 inches long now, ive had him about 5 months, never seen him attack any other fish, ive seen him bump into fish when he gets the zoomies, but never nip or anything like that

On a plus note, the guppies are always at the top and hes always at the bottom unless he comes up once in a while for a gasp of air, they wouldnt fit in his mouth either, most of the time when hes resting, hes laying on top of the water wisteria.

This is also the info I have regarding the guppies and was led to believe, my tank water would be well within range: https://www.google.com/search?q=gup...390l4j69i64.5269j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The 2 Hill streams and Bristlenose love blanched broccoli and cucumber.

2nd plus note, my Mrs just asked me this morning to pick a new tank out for xmas, she gave me 2 options, one was 100cm 200 litre tank, and the other was 120cm, 240 litre tank, I went for the 240 litre, mainly because I would probably want to upgrade later, so I may as well have the upgrade to start with, my filter can handle upto 250 litres, I would need a new heater though as my current one is 200w, I would put a 300w one in instead.

The frog is also friendly, all of my fish are what the shop would class as on the green light, they always ask me what other fish I have in the tank before selling me what im interested in and then advise for or against, I did specify above how I go about feeding my frog as he's a slow eater and the other fish get to the food before him, ive copy and pasted it below, he's eating right now the way I do it to make sure he gets food, the black dots are the pellets, and hes wolfing them down, once hes eaten i'll submerge the pot hes in and he'll swim out.

"the fish only get fed every 3 days, however the frog gets fed on pellets every 2 days, he's a very slow eater and unfortunately the other fish normally get to the food before him, so what ive started doing is floating a small clear plastic pot in the tank with some of the tank water, catch him in it and then feed him, 10 mins or so he's eaten all of it and then just pour him back into the main tank, he seems to of got used to doing this and knows when its feeding time."

Attachments

• 20221113_185520.jpg
    20221113_185520.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221113_190639.jpg
    20221113_190639.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back