Christmas Weather

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Here in Central VA we have a winter storm warning, 100% chance of snow, 2 to 6 inches of snow expected. I am EXCITED
Please send some to us! It is spooky dry here. Need some ❄️🌨️ pretty bad or next summer fire season is going to be UGLY.

Here in Central VA we have a winter storm warning, 100% chance of snow, 2 to 6 inches of snow expected. I am EXCITED
Yep, that's the same front that passed through here....beautiful clear skies now, low humidity, but WINDY, and chilly...even my dogs didn't stay outside for long...high of 50F today, freeze warning in the AM...then we begin to warm up again, natch

We got a dusting of powder in Montreal, only maybe 6 inches. I just took the old dog out, and it was quite beautiful (though dark at 4:30) with the last of the Christmas lights and the snow. All you could hear was your own feet crunching snow, the sound of skates and pucks hitting boards, and kids laughing. A few families were trudging home from the park, and my old rescue retriever was desperate to play with the kids, who wanted to get home and eat. With the latest and hopefully final wave of covid, schools are closed longer, so there will be kids around for her to daydream about capturing and making her own. She was a kennel breeder that we got hold of when she was almost 9, and she wants human kids.

I get awful sick of the snow, but it is beautiful. If you can, whether you're in a desert, on a glacier, in a city or surrounded by cows, go for a walk this evening.

We got a dusting of powder in Montreal, only maybe 6 inches.
This makes me so sad 😢 IF we get any snow here in Chichester (South Downs 8 miles to the North and the sea 8 miles to the South) it is a dusting that barely covers the grass…the children get so excited. Every time snow gets mentioned I wish for a decent amount (6 inches would do it) so they could really play..

Although our “dusting” is enough to cause school snow days and driving and transport chaos…I’m not sure how life would continue if we got 6” of snow…🤔😂😂

Here on the coast 26 degrees C, loving it. No rain for a change. We are enjoying global warming, bring it on.

When you live in a country where snow is normal, people learn to manage it. 5-10 cm is an inconvenience. 15-20 is trouble, if there's wind. 20-40 shuts schools and lets you stay home to do fish stuff.
I always think of an Inuit friend from the far north who showed me a summer picture of him swimming. There was a chunk of white ice behind him. I asked if he found the water cold and and he said it wasn't, it was great, you could stay in for about 45 seconds.
By rights, we should have had at least one good storm by now. February/March is when the big storms come, but there would normally have been a couple of 20cm ones by now. The patterns are weird this year, as they have been for the past few. It was misting 2 days ago, and it's -18c this morning. A bit of a roller coaster.
My kids are all grown up, but every winter I still watch The Snowman, the British animation. It's a kind of different relationship to the white stuff. A couple of winters ago it snowed in October and stayed til late March.
Now dust storms sound miserable. There would have to be some sort of wild incentive I've never met up with to get me to live in Perth. Or the edge of the Sahara.
The coast of NZ, at 26? That might work.

I woke up about 15 minutes ago. Ah the joy of waking up to the first snow of the year!
8F3EA20A-898F-4862-8E7F-DC04885BD071.jpeg

Right now (8:00) it’s not much. But considering it wasn’t supposed to even start snowing until now, I’m impressed! It is supposed to snow from now until 12
8095783B-1DA1-4869-A286-9363BE14A55D.jpeg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back