Caught Some New Things Today...

Because.... They are poor fish.

The ones at the pet store already got hijacked from their home while the ones you grabbed at least had a chance to stay in nature. And i doubt the fish think you are doing them a favour by taking them from a place where there is unlimited amount of room to roam and such and ploped into a maybe at most 4-5 foot box lol.

As for you took them from polluted water if it was really that bad they would be all dead and you wouldnt even be catching things lol.

I personally think it is better to grab the fish from the aquarium stores that seem to be overstocked in my opinion then to go grab more out of the lakes and rivers.

Finally, as it looks that many people agree that in texas that perch are a game fish what you did was illegal.

lol

Trevelyn1015 said:
i don't know why you are saying "poor fish"...

i take them out of a polluted culvert of a creek and bring them to my nice, clean, filtered, well fed tank...

my tank is not over-stocked, as i have given the larger fish to my friend with a 100+ gallon tank.

what's the difference between me catching a few fish in a creek, and you guys going out and buying fish that are raised on farms or pulled from their ocean homes?

i take good care of my fish...

and as far as going from creek to aquarium... they are very hardy fish and i haven't had one die yet. i have some of the perch in their for about a month.

i have a baby pumpkinseed that has been growing and my turtles are doing very well...

i like that my aquarium consists of native fish... i can't wait til i am older and have a huge wall aquarium full of native fish and turtles...
i know the difference... THEY WERE FREEEEEE
man, dont feel guilty, as long as the fish are healthy :)

WhispTech.......

I don't think the Topic Starter really cares about your "opinion" so maybe you should go else where and do God's "work" for him.............. :rolleyes:

I think you have lovely fish ;)

Nah

I really dont care.

I was just being a nitpick like he was in my thread lol

I can be an ass like that sometimes.

WhispTech said:

The ones at the pet store already got hijacked from their home while the ones you grabbed at least had a chance to stay in nature. And i doubt the fish think you are doing them a favour by taking them from a place where there is unlimited amount of room to roam and such and ploped into a maybe at most 4-5 foot box lol.

As for you took them from polluted water if it was really that bad they would be all dead and you wouldnt even be catching things lol.

I personally think it is better to grab the fish from the aquarium stores that seem to be overstocked in my opinion then to go grab more out of the lakes and rivers.

Finally, as it looks that many people agree that in texas that perch are a game fish what you did was illegal.

lol
Sorry, but I think you're projecting human emotions onto the fish. Fish have territories in the wild, so "unlimited room to roam" isn't exactly accurate... and to be honest, as much as I love fish, I seriously doubt that they have enough of a consciousness about them to be depressed or sad about being kept in a smaller area than they were originally in, so long as that area is large enough. Fish don't operate in the same way we do, and considering their relatively primitive brains, I honestly don't think they're suffering. All they really register is that all their needs are met and they have a pleasant environment, and considering that, I'm sure they're as happy as any fish can be in their tank home.
It's easy to humanize animals, but I think you really miss out on fully appreciating them as a species when you do.

As for pollution... you'd be surprised what conditions fish can survive in. No doubt their tank water is higher quality than what they were originally living in.

But I agree, what he did was probably illegal... in the same way that speeding in a car is illegal. It's something a lot of people do, but not many people get in trouble for. It's not like he has committed a felony :p

If it helps you out, I'd like to point out it's not a perch at all. Pumkinseeds are sunfish not perch. Perch are characterized by the dorsal fin's spiny portion and soft-rayed portion completely separated. As you can see the sunfish in your picture has a dorsal fin in which the soft-rayed portion and spiny portion are combined.
Sunfish belong to the family Centrarchidae, while perch belong to the family Percidae. They both belong to the Order Perciformes (perch-likes).
Have a good day :D

Synirr said:
WhispTech said:

lol
Sorry, but I think you're projecting human emotions onto the fish. Fish have territories in the wild, so "unlimited room to roam" isn't exactly accurate... and to be honest, as much as I love fish, I seriously doubt that they have enough of a consciousness about them to be depressed or sad about being kept in a smaller area than they were originally in, so long as that area is large enough. Fish don't operate in the same way we do, and considering their relatively primitive brains, I honestly don't think they're suffering. All they really register is that all their needs are met and they have a pleasant environment, and considering that, I'm sure they're as happy as any fish can be in their tank home.
It's easy to humanize animals, but I think you really miss out on fully appreciating them as a species when you do.

As for pollution... you'd be surprised what conditions fish can survive in. No doubt their tank water is higher quality than what they were originally living in.

But I agree, what he did was probably illegal... in the same way that speeding in a car is illegal. It's something a lot of people do, but not many people get in trouble for. It's not like he has committed a felony :p
Like I said earleir. I really dont care lol. I was just being an ass on purpose and being a pain in the ass.

lol

Also i noticed that too about teh sunfish but didnt say anything because I wanted to be abboying about the ilegal thing ahaha.

Dont think the siunfish is a game fish but i didnt research that. i was just using the perch thing haha.

does any one know a site in which you could find out what native fish are in your area?

wrs, one option would to be do a search for your states fish and game agency. The state game and fish agency should have a list of fish in the area. The only problem with that is most agencies only post info about game fish and threatened/endangered fish, so there are way more species in your state than what the website would account for. If you live in Florida you'd be in luck because of all their exotic species they have a pretty good list of the species in the state.

dbollack said:
If it helps you out, I'd like to point out it's not a perch at all. Pumkinseeds are sunfish not perch. Perch are characterized by the dorsal fin's spiny portion and soft-rayed portion completely separated. As you can see the sunfish in your picture has a dorsal fin in which the soft-rayed portion and spiny portion are combined.
Sunfish belong to the family Centrarchidae, while perch belong to the family Percidae. They both belong to the Order Perciformes (perch-likes).
OWNED by the accurate info

and whisp tech, i dont see the point in u being an ass.... take that somwhere else man

cichlid said:
dbollack said:

and whisp tech, i dont see the point in u being an ass.... take that somwhere else man
People want to screw with my thread when they dont know what they are talking about and ill screw right back lol. especially when its a sales thread and screwing with me making money. Also when they cant be couteious and just pm to discuss it first or such. where I come what he did as thread crapping and lownballing is worse then anything I did here.

plus im revengeful like that

lol

WhispTech said:
cichlid said:
dbollack said:

People want to screw with my thread when they dont know what they are talking about and ill screw right back lol. especially when its a sales thread and screwing with me making money. Also when they cant be couteious and just pm to discuss it first or such. where I come what he did as thread crapping and lownballing is worse then anything I did here.

plus im revengeful like that

lol
lololololololol... :no:

why are you posting just to be an "ass"? This forum is about looking at other fish/tanks and making positive comments unless there is something significantly wrong and they are unaware of it. So he keeps native fish, who cares!

:p

Man how many times do i have to say i could care less if he got free fish from a river lol. I was just nitpicking his thread like he did mine. Luckily his isnt a for sale thread and screwing with a possible sale and such. Anyways I cant explain it in any more detail then I have the multiple times lol and talked about throughout the last couple posts lol.

WOW

:rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back