Cat And Motor Oil.

Rynoah

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Our cat HP came in covered from his chest to the tip of his tail in motor oil. Despite attempts to wash him, he's still extremely greasy, and I think he's already licked a lot of it off of his fur. He's been very listless and shows no interest in going outside. I'm calling the vet tomorrow morning. Does anyone know of anything we can do for him in the meantime? The shampoo we used was made specifically for cats, but I don't think it does a lick of good against motor oil.

Dishwashing liquid (I think Dawn brand) is what is used to clean oil off birds when oil spills occur, maybe you should try that?

How is your cat doing? Did you take him to the vet?

I use Dawn dish detergent on oiled birds, make sure to use a lot, in warm water and wash it *all* out. Make sure not to put any too close to his eyes, nose, ears or mouth. You don't want detergent there. You won't get all the oil out on the first try, he'll probably need several baths. After a bath, dry him with a towel and keep him in a warm room. He can get too cold very quickly when he's all wet and his fur is oiled.

The vet may need to get him to eat some clay if he's ingested much of the oils. The clay sticks to the toxic stuff and then leaves his system in his poop.

-Nerwign

Hi all. Sorry I haven't responded; been very busy.

I did call the vet and he echoed the idea to use Dawn dish soap, so we gave him a good washing and it helped (still a little oily, but nowhere near as bad). However, he was walking a little odd (flicking his hindfeet a lot), his legs were sore to the touch, and his fur was falling out in clumps, so I called the vet again and set up an appointment. Turns out his skin is just irritated because of the oil, so the vet gave me some GentaVed topical spray.

HP's doing a lot better. He's not as lethargic and is making more and more trips to the food/water dish and litter box. Thanks for the advice and concern!

Most reactions

Back