Can You Make A Community Of Male Bettas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said I liked that either.. what led you to believe that I condone the process of culling?

Unless you have only wild caught bettas then it is fairly safe to state you are (if indirectly) supporting the practice of culling by buying from the breeders who will themselves cull, many in a manner far worse than that which got a member of this forum a ban.

This seems to have gone way off topic!
I would love to house loads of Bettas in one tank but I wouldn't risk it. As they are not from the wild then the chances of them staying intact would be very slim. Yes, it may work for some people but is it guaranteed thet the fish won't turn on each other. I'm not prepared to risk losing 10 fighters just because I want a tank of my choosing.
As people have said before, we buy a fish therefore, it is our responsibility to take care of it the best we can.

Dibari, if you owned a large scale breeding business, would you still not agree that culling is good? It keeps only the strongest stock, the ones that won't end up sitting and rotting away in a cup in some store. Do you not agree that killing off ill/deformed fish is practical if they are suffering or could affect other fish? By owning the Betta's you do, you have just bought the fish that was good enough not to be culled, so by not going around buying ill Betta's from breeders, you can't argue against culling.

If you have fish with personalities that are very calm and when you put them together there are no problems would you still not keep them together? Have you ever tried keeping males together?

By keeping a Betta in a tank do you think they are better there than in the wild then? How is a tank Betta not comparable to a wild Betta, they are the same species, if someone had a tank of wild male Betta splendas would you still be of this high horse opinion?

Stay on topic. This thread is not about culling.

jayjay, on topic but personal name calling is not ligitimate discourse. :p

Actually I agree that it is my choice to do with my fish what I want. If I want to treat them as fish food it is my expensive choice.

Stay on topic. This thread is not about culling.
I've looked and looked, but just can't find the word "Moderator" anywhere in your profile...

:dunno:

As to the concept of keeping bettas together, why not try it, if you have the means to stop it if it goes wrong? Bettas are nothing for aggression and fighting when you look at the wider realms of fishkeeping. Consider puffers that can (and do) cut other fish in half just for fun, or snakeheads that can destroy everything in the tank for something to do. Yet these same fish can also be kept in communities.

So long as the owner of the tank can remove the fish to more generally accepted keeping practices, then it is perfectly good to experiment. Every fish is different. I have seen people who keep one male and one female betta in the same tank with no woes, and have seen others keep male communities with no problems.

Staying on topic--forum rules

High horse opinions = name calling/negative characterization.

Ok, I was just talking to another member here (won't say names, but they know who they are) discussing this very thing. People getting all hell bent over nothing. The responses form some of these members are what keeps bettas such a disrespected part of the fishkeeping community. By argueing in such a manner, noone will listen and those who may want to listen, but don't because of how it is portrayed.

I would like to thank those who kept it civil and didn't throw anyone under a bus. Those that have gotten too rowdy won't see it for obvious reasons.

Myself, I have kept a trio of plakats (1m:2f) in a 20 gallon high tank with a couple female convicts and hardly any hiding room. None of the fish were ripped up, none of the fish faught, it can be done. Does this make me irresponsible because I had a vision and monitored it carefully? Does it make me a bad keeper, because I kept fish in otherwise unsuitable conditions? The answer is no.

Ther is so much grey area in fishkeeping, because anyone of us wouldn't, couldn't or shouldn't do it, does not mean that it can't be done. I've kept male bettas in every single "bad" situation you can imagine. All of them died of old age and got along fine/ I've kept males and female non siblings together. I've even for short tiems have had 2 males in the same tank when switching them around.

This debate has got me wanting to go out, buying the first 2 males I can find, putting them in a 10 gallon tank without a divider and proving that males can be kept together. Its all about carefully acclimating your fish to the new situations. Letting them aware of theings around and then allowing them to meet each other face to face.

I've owned males that got depressed if I moved their containers apart form each other. I never put anything between them to block their veiw and they had nothing for them to run away nd hide behind. They would simply go to each other (the same time each day) flare for a little whiel for their excercise. Then they would go to the same side of the containers next to each other, sitting their watching T.V. with me. I was too afraid because of what people have otld me about putting 2 males togetherthat I didn't dare to. Now I look back and wish I did put them together. They were friends despite what some may say, I know this because I was there and saw them on a daily bases. They only flared when they knew they needed to excercise. Thye lived near each other everyday since I got them. when I cleaned their tanks, they went into the spare tank for a good 15 minutes orso while I cleaned out their old tnaks. They never faught. They looked at each other as if saying "hello". They weren't siblings and they were about 6 months apart in age. After the one died, the other got depressed wouldn't eat or flare. He jsut sat on the bottom, just like any other pet or human who just lost their best friend. Needless to say a couple weeks later the other died. He died of a broken heart.

This is not theonly time this has happened, many other members have had similar experiences. So why, under the right circumstances, could two males, who aren't siblings, not be put together? Mine could've, but the fear of not doing it because of other peopel stopped it. If I could go back, I would attempt to keep them together, but alas I can not.

I beleive it can be done. Not everyone should do it, and not every fish is a good candidate for it. But in a situation like mine, why couldn't it be done? Let's take off the blinders and see what can be done under the right circumstances, not what always shouldn't be.

See what you started Cracker? Bad boy. And nowhere to be seen to keep it rational. 8)

(Not you, Nevergone.)

I actually don't doubt that it can be done by a few fish keepers that cna deal with tanks of aggressive fish and know how to deal with aggression.

I still suggest though that what works for a few will not work for all. It is not something many should try without lots of warnings.

I also see my Mobas. The dominant is frequently chomping on the subdominant. If I knew more perhaps I could change the dynamics. There are by the way 6 fronts to spread the aggression. The dominant chases evyone equally.

Hi Fin Serpae Tetras are considered semi aggressive. I had a school that was ripping up the community tank. Messed with them. I finally fiound it was one hari kari boy that went on tears and nipped and killed his tank mates, When I removed him the tank recovered. I have seen this repeatedly.

Getting from bad keeping of fish by aquarists to bad keeping of fish by breeders is hardly the greatest leap off topic ever suffered, and many more topics with obscure discussions are left in place by the board moderators.

High horse opinions are not name calling or negative characterisation. High horse opinions are those of someone who believes they hold the high moral ground without any actual experience of what reality is like, and generally refuses to listen to others who might be in a better place to comment.

I would have thought that as a wannabe moderator you would know that. ;)

Getting from bad keeping of fish by aquarists to bad keeping of fish by breeders is hardly the greatest leap off topic ever suffered, and many more topics with obscure discussions are left in place by the board moderators.

High horse opinions are not name calling or negative characterisation. High horse opinions are those of someone who believes they hold the high moral ground without any actual experience of what reality is like, and generally refuses to listen to others who might be in a better place to comment.

I would have thought that as a wannabe moderator you would know that. ;)

It's all right, andy, you can take a breath now. A course in logic and anger management would benefit you greatly. :p

Cracker I love you and your love of conflict, lmao :lol: :lol:

I'm not even stating my POV because its pointless, lol. I do love how everything seems to start a fight on these forums, its amusing

There are some of us that would actually like to discuss various aspects of fish keeping as intellegent adults without it degrading to a pissing contest. I don't really care who can yell the loudest and be the least civil. I am interested in discussions of adults without hysteria. It is known as civil discourse not civil disobedience.

And I know that I am not the only one who would like enlightened exchanges.

When we were allowed to have those discussions on this forum, I among others had an opportunity to learn and see things from different viewpoints without someone having to run yelling "Fight in the playground!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back