Can I Use Branches Found In The Garden?

Joshy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I there, I have an unusual little project on the way, and I need some very long thin decoration. The decoration needs to be 30-50 cm tall but no more than 7 cm wide or in radius in any place. The only thing that really ticks the box is twigs/sticks.

So my question to all you lovely people:

Can I use branches and twigs that I found on the floor of my garden in an aquarium?

Its for a shrimp only tank. The branches I have picked up don’t look like the kind that will peal away. I just wanted to know your opinion and if to expect any nasty surprises?

Thanks

It depends on the plant. Some species are known to be poisonous and these should be avoided at all costs. Other species are fine. Any idea what the plant is?

If you're not sure about the garden twigs, have you thought of bamboo? My book reckons that's OK for tank decoration.

No idea what branches they are in terms of the tree/shrub types. And i think they are too long to boil. Hmm can bamboo be pretty much fully submerged? As in 50cm in water?

I've used oak tree branches before. I found ones that were completely dried out and boiled them first. They looked great, but kind of disintegrate over time (if you handled them, they broke easy). I don't think you all have oaks on the other side of the pond, so I don't know what you could use. :dunno:

I would try them as long as they are not from a garden that has been sprayed with lots of pesticides.

My book says that any wood other than bogwood is likely to disintegrate over time, which could be a problem if it rots in the tank, or releases stuff which could cause a fungal or algae bloom. To avoid this, seal it with clear plastic paint normally used for sealing concrete ponds, which is safe for fish and plants - I think 3ndl3r's suggestion referred to this. Make sure the wood is completely dry first. You might need several coats. This can also be done for bamboo or cork bark - both of these may float, so you might want to use aquarium silicone to glue them to something (e.g. a piece of glass or slate) that will weigh them down and can be hidden or buried in the substrate.
As ColinT says, some species are poisonous, so I'd want to check that first.
Hope this helps.

I have a dead bonsai tree (forgot to water it :rolleyes:) that I'm thinking of doing this to. Think it might make a pretty cool decoration for when I get my big 30 gallon. :)

Most reactions

Back