Can I turn off my filter at night?

I'm sure I've read that when you turn a filter on that has been off for 12 hours it releases toxins into the water column. Although, I could be lying. Who knows?

That would seem more than possible to me. Why 12-hours though? How long does it take for a spread of good aerobics to turn into ammonia? I hope I don't have to find out.

Companies being cheap: not putting the time into it that is necessary to make it perfect. :rolleyes:
I tend to believe that they see us as being cheap. I don't know how prevalent this is as an approach, but I'd be willing to pay more for items that I think come close to perfect.

I had fish tanks bubbling in my room for so long I used to wake up when there was a power failure because it went quiet.

I broke a cardinal rule, I offered advice before I googled it. So this situation is:

With COVID, no job, no money and no sleep ie: my noisy HOB filter is keeping me awake.

For a short term solution , can I turn off my filter at night? What popped up for me when I googled it, the lack of oxygen inside your filter will kill the bacteria. At first that makes sense but that would really depend on the type of filter you are using.

I have a sump filter, the surface area in the filter sections is 120 sq inches (~800 cm^2), I doubt the bacteria would die in my filter.

On the opposite end, sealed canister filter may be a problem. But if this person had a quiet canister filter, she could run it all night.

So what about hang on back (HOB) filters? They are not a sealed filter and gas exchange could still be happening while turn off.

EDIT: This situation came from another thread, I don't have a problem. She has tried all options with her HOB filter, nothing has worked to reduce the noise.

Mark
Heya,

In short, it’s best not to consistently turn on and off the filter. I think it’s fine as a short term solution, but depending on the fish you keep, it could certainly impact their health and overall well-being if the filter is not running 8+ Hours a day.

That would seem more than possible to me. Why 12-hours though? How long does it take for a spread of good aerobics to turn into ammonia? I hope I don't have to find out.
Not a clue, just something I've read before. @PheonixKingZ says he's read it too, but believes it was 8 hours. He's probably right to be honest

Haha....

It was more a question as to why after trying to quiet it down, it wasn't replaced...not why are they noisy.....haha. HOB filters are cheap nowadays. There is no reason to deal with a noisy one.

I broke a cardinal rule, I offered advice before I googled it. So this situation is:

With COVID, no job, no money and no sleep ie: my noisy HOB filter is keeping me awake.

For a short term solution , can I turn off my filter at night? What popped up for me when I googled it, the lack of oxygen inside your filter will kill the bacteria. At first that makes sense but that would really depend on the type of filter you are using.

I have a sump filter, the surface area in the filter sections is 120 sq inches (~800 cm^2), I doubt the bacteria would die in my filter.

On the opposite end, sealed canister filter may be a problem. But if this person had a quiet canister filter, she could run it all night.

So what about hang on back (HOB) filters? They are not a sealed filter and gas exchange could still be happening while turn off.

EDIT: This situation came from another thread, I don't have a problem. She has tried all options with her HOB filter, nothing has worked to reduce the noise.

Mark
I have the same problem with my tank, i just bought earplugs on amazon and now i wear them every night

i currently am turning filter off at night to when i get a filter spray pipe to tone down the motion a bit

i currently am turning filter off at night to when i get a filter spray pipe to tone down the motion a bit
but i have a bubbler running at night so the bacteria dont die (think it works had no problem with tank in a looong time)

The concern about bacteria in the filter is exaggerated in my opinion. Bacteria have been observed in labs surviving long period of little to no food without any harm. Most of the bacteria and algae that gets into our tanks comes in as dust in the air. If the water conditions are right they weill grow and multiply. If conditions are not right other bacteria eat them. Furthermore the bacteria are not only present in the filter. They are in your substrate and and on your plants and tank decorations.

So if you turn your filter off over time it might become less effective at processing ammonia and nitrite. Use your test kits to minter the levels and if necessary increase the on time and if they get really high replace waters needed to keep the levels fish safe until the bacteria grow enough to do the job. In my experience the biggest issue I have seen is the fish or shrimp not getting enough oxygen. Fish and shrimp need a lot more oxygen then bacteria. A lot of oxygen gets into the tank ifrom the air. but most will stay at the surface with no water flow. You want some water flow to insure the oxygen levels are uniform throughout the tank.

The concern about bacteria in the filter is exaggerated in my opinion. Bacteria have been observed in labs surviving long period of little to no food without any harm. Most of the bacteria and algae that gets into our tanks comes in as dust in the air. If the water conditions are right they weill grow and multiply. If conditions are not right other bacteria eat them. Furthermore the bacteria are not only present in the filter. They are in your substrate and and on your plants and tank decorations.

So if you turn your filter off over time it might become less effective at processing ammonia and nitrite. Use your test kits to minter the levels and if necessary increase the on time and if they get really high replace waters needed to keep the levels fish safe until the bacteria grow enough to do the job. In my experience the biggest issue I have seen is the fish or shrimp not getting enough oxygen. Fish and shrimp need a lot more oxygen then bacteria. A lot of oxygen gets into the tank ifrom the air. but most will stay at the surface with no water flow. You want some water flow to insure the oxygen levels are uniform throughout the tank.
i have an air pump at night, and it is keeping water agitated, is that ok for allmost or some max production?

Most reactions

Back