Can I Put More Fish In :)?

aaronjt

Reaction score
Hi all,

Real quick one, fish in cycle (blame lfs), been about 6 weeks, currently tank (40 gallons) has:

3 corys
1 dwarf gourami
5 cardinals
2 mollys

(Of those fish the dwarf and 3 cardinals were added 2 days ago)

My API master water test readings are:

Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : Between 0 and 5
PH: 6.8 > 7

My question is, as I only added fish 2 days ago could I add some more today? The bacteria seem to have coped very well with the increased fish :)

Regards

Aaron

It's really up to you. I would usually wait at least a week b4 adding in more fish but if you do add more you'll only have to keep an eye on the stats do more regular water changes to keep the Ammonia and Nitrite levels down.

I'd agree with the above, it's best to wait a week just to be sure.

I know it's very tempting to rush out and get more fish for your tank :) but try to hold off. Could save you a lot of bother (water changes) and you only have to wait a few more days. Also, if you keep them correctly, these fish will be in your tanks for years, so just a few days extra waiting wont hurt :good:

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Just to dovetail on to the end of this question, would overstocking a tank by say 5 inches of fish be a terrible thing?

My tank is quite well planted with lots of places to hide and 40 gallons, but would be aiming at 45 inches of adult fish, would this really stress the fish out? All of the fish I plan to put in there are peaceful and wouldn't nip fins etc!

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Just to dovetail on to the end of this question, would overstocking a tank by say 5 inches of fish be a terrible thing?
No, not really, IF you have a good filter and its cycled! :)

My tank is quite well planted with lots of places to hide and 40 gallons, but would be aiming at 45 inches of adult fish, would this really stress the fish out? All of the fish I plan to put in there are peaceful and wouldn't nip fins etc!
as above not really, if filter is good, Nippy fish need shelter from plants. :D

You say you are doing a fish in cycle - have you seen Nitrite spike and go back down? You shouldn't add anymore fish until your cycle is complete.

I would wait a bit longer and also not overstock the tank unless you are entirely prepared to do additional water changes and/or or wait until your tank is considered officially "mature" to make things easier for you.

Most reactions

Back