Can I Change Water Like This?

mike_nofx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Previously when i changed water, i would syphon out 90Litres, then when i put the new water in, i would fill up a 30Litre tub, treat it for chlorine, then put in in the tank (do this 3 times for 90 litres).

On my last change, i syphoned out 100Litres, then instead of treating the water in a tub first. I put the hose straight into the tank, and as it was filling would add the conditioner/de-chlorinator bit by bit until the tank was full.

Is this procedure ok? the fish would probably be exposed to some chlorine but only for a very short time. I had the filter off the whole time so untreated water would not get into the filter.

It saves a lot of time doing it like this. But would the dechlorinator still work this way?

The only problem was, I did this water change on saturday, and i just noticed an angel died this afternoon (wednesday). Could this be related? (My tank finished cycling 3-4 weeks ago, i added 22 fish as soon as the cycle was finished, and this is the only fish which died!)

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate around 10.

Thanks

It's absolutely fine. Everyone with a "Python" does it that way (or very similar).

i do my water changes that way... i add the untreated water to the tank and either condition before or after adding the water. no one is affected- even the fry. a couple mins won't hurt anyone.

Most reactions

Back