Can dogs be vegetarian (split from thread "Feeding cichlids and other fish meat")

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like a logical response to my argument.
I've given two logical responses above.

You've continued to refuse to answer whether dogs are carnivorous in their biology, and why it's okay by you to deprive them of that. Why you think you know better than their biology and functioning. Why do dogs have hunting behaviours so ingrained in them if they should be living on plant matter? Why are their teeth designed for killing, ripping and tearing meat? Why is their digestive system designed to process meat, including aged meat heavily loaded with bacteria?

I've given two logical responses above.
Hmm
You've continued to refuse to answer whether dogs are carnivorous in their biology, and why it's okay by you to deprive them of that.
I believe that its common knowledge that dogs are omnivores.
Why are their teeth designed for killing, ripping and tearing meat?
people make the same argument for humans so that's not a valid point.

To me it is quite simple. There are 22 kinds of amino acids. Some can be "made" or transformed as you call it in other less essential ones but 9 has to come from a foodsource.

So "protein" isn't "protein". Therefor one can't compare protein in different foodsources.
30% protein in an algaewafer coukd be 100% different than protein in a shrimppellet.

Carnivores, omnivores, herbivores, pescivores, detrivores, insectivores, etc.... have another digestion system and different needs for aminoacids and certain minerals, vitamins etc.....

That is why vegitarians use certain sources to replace some of those missed in the vegs they are eating (certain supplements, soja, nuts, etc etc...)

So one can make a vegetarian dogfood (that is what article is talking about and that's different than a vegetarian diet) but has to add the certain missing proteins (or up the level), vitamins and minerals which carnivores need in there diet to stay healthy.

Just going to leave these here...ahem...
11y0h0.jpg
46306634402d5125f61b7a94268f390b.jpeg.jpg
thumb_one-does-not-simply-sayttm-vegan-without-discussing-the-sentience-52700965.png

So one can make a vegetarian dogfood (that is what article is talking about and that's different than a vegetarian diet) but has to add the certain missing proteins (or up the level), vitamins and minerals which carnivores need in there diet to stay healthy.
And a dog can live a long and perfectly healthy life on the food.
That is why vegitarians use certain sources to replace some of those missed in the vegs they are eating (certain supplements, soja, nuts, etc etc...)
Not all vegetarians.

BTW : that's why there are different kinds of fishfoods as well and that's why for instance "bottomfeederpellets" aren't right for bottomfeeders.

The one omnivore is on the herbivorious side, the other on the carnivorious side.
Feed them the wrong food and they'll get sick.

My beloved Corys get "algaewaferitis" as I call it when constantly fed those.

Comparing percentages of proteincontent is useless.

people make the same argument for humans so that's not a valid point.
You're arguing that those sharp canines and incisors that dogs have were meant for chewing plant material? Sigh
So you're literally denying their nature and claiming they shouldn't eat meat...
So your answer to my two arguments is just hmm? Thanks a lot for not really debating the points then. You'll just skip over the ones you don't like...
I believe that its common knowledge that dogs are omnivores.
And what does omnivore mean? Including meat. You're depriving them of that element entirely. Omnivores also vary in their primary food sources, some omnivores eat primarily herbaceous food matter, and eat the odd small critter when the opportunity arises. While others, like wild canids and dogs are PRIMARILY carnivorous. Wolves hunt, foxes, wild dogs, coyotes - all wild canids hunt and eat meat as the vast majority of their diet. You seem to be ignoring that entirely.

Y

So your answer to my two arguments is just hmm? Thanks a lot for not really debating the points then. You'll just skip over the ones you don't like...

And what does omnivore mean? Including meat. You're depriving them of that element entirely. Omnivores also vary in their primary food sources, some omnivores eat primarily herbaceous food matter, and eat the odd small critter when the opportunity arises. While others, like wild canids and dogs are PRIMARILY carnivorous. Wolves hunt, foxes, wild dogs, coyotes - all wild canids hunt and eat meat as the vast majority of their diet. You seem to be ignoring that entirely.
Could you repost your two logical arguments because I don't see any.
You're arguing that those sharp canines and incisors that dogs have were meant for chewing plant material? Sigh
So you're literally denying their nature and claiming they shouldn't eat meat...
No. I think its best they don't eat meat now.
Do you believe that its impossible for a dog to have a vegetarian diet?
Plants do not contain b-12 therefore it must be supplemented.
Thats an incorrect statement.

Thats an incorrect statement.

Hmmmm really? This study says otherwise: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/13590849409003591

"Serum B12 levels decreased noticeably within 2 months on a TVD (total vegetarian diet). Sixty-one per cent of those on the TVD for 1 year or more had serum B12 levels below normal"

B-12 is an essential vitamin that is found in high level in eggs, meat and dairy. So yeah, if a vegan/vegetarian isn't consuming anything from those food groups or anything that is fortified with b-12 then yes they absolutely have to supplement it.

As said vegitarian dogfood is different than a vegitarian diet. If not dogs should be in the meadow with sheep and cows enjoying their fresh grass. Don't see them here.

Attachments

• 20220605_102836.jpg
    20220605_102836.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back