Builders Foam/ Polystyrene Sheets

sarahw20000

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi i'm in the process of building a tank stand for a 7ft x 20"w x 28"h tank and i need something like the polystyrene mats you get for smaller tanks on a larger scale. I've heard people talk about builders foam but i've googled this and i don't think it's an official term, i need to know what it's called so i can phone around my local companies and find out if they do it. Thanks

do you want something thats an insulator, sound dampening pad, or some other application? I'm not sure what a polystyrene mat is for... :/

i used polystyrene ceiling tiles for the base of my 100gal, cheap enough to get from any diy shop

Wickes sell it in packs of 3 I think and IIRC its over an inch thick and has tongue and grooves cut in to make joining it together easy.

If you have Arnold Laver I know the one near me has some 50mm thick stuff, bit too much overkill for my 38G

Arfie

If you go to Wickes, they sell 8ft. x 2ft. sheets of 25mm/1in. polystyrene for about £4-50 or so, which is ideal for your needs.

The builers material you're talking about is called Jablite, ask any builders merchant for a sheet of Jablite and they'll know what your on about, available in thicknesses from 25mm to 125mm.

Jablite Homepage

\justin.

Thanks for all your replies, i want it to support the tank and even out any small lumps or bumps on the top of the stand, it should be pretty flat anyway but it's just a precaution.
By the sounds of it the wickes stuff should be fine

Thanks everyone : )

Most reactions

Back