Budgies in cages

Julie

Reaction score
This is my first post in the household pets section and will probably make me vastly unpopular but here goes...........For those of you living in Europe & the U S are you aware that in their native country (australia) budgerigars live in huge flocks? Their natural habitat is the arid inland ares of Australia where temperatures can be extremely hot.At dawn and dusk they are usually found at waterholes where they drink and bathe.Maybe its just me but I find the keeping of these birds as pets in tiny cages rather distressing. Even a small avairy doesn't allow these birds the freedom they would have in their natural environment.I suspect that part of the allure of these birds is the fact that they can be taught to talk and perform tricks-allowing us to "humanise" them.I feel that the continued acceptance of keeping animals like this in cages needs to be seriously addressed by "bird lovers".
I know that heaps of people will reply saying just how happy their budgie is.In fact many of these birds repitious talking and dancing movements are signs of loneliness and the fact that the bird has gone stir crazy. For myself, I believe that it is rather obscene to cage any animal that has the gift of flight. Please consider this before you cage your next bird. :byebye:

duely noted
i will now allow my bird to fly free,
he will be instantly picked out of the air by my cat and killed OR if he's lucky he will fall in a fish bowl and drown, or hey!
maybe he can eat something small and choke and die
thats responsible right?????????
after all i wouldn't want to cage the little guy!

your arguement is completely rediculous, no pet is in their natural habitat with full freedom
it is far more irresponsible to have such a delicate creature not in a cage and not under constant supervision
so i will now quite my job to spend every waking second watching him
but wait, houses aren't their natural habitat
i'll just let him out the window
but wait :rolleyes:
domestic budgie survival rates down here in the wild are zip
if the constant weather changes don't kill them
our wildlife will

EDIT: just wanted to add,
just as you said,
my birds are NOT unhappy and yes they talk and do tricks
they are so incredible happy and have several hours several times in the day to fly free, and hang off of us
birds are unhappy if left in a cage yes,
but if you know what they are doing they simply fall in love with their owners

As I said, I knew this would be an unpopular opinion, but it's just that - an opinion,which I believe I have the right to express. Sometimes I think we are so removed from nature that we forget how animals were meant to live. This applies to many other animals which are kept as pets not just budgies and not just birds.Enjoy your bird, treat them well but lets not pretend this is natural for THEM.
P.S.My post was not meant to offend people-just make them think.If youv'e ever had the pleasure of seeing these birds in the wild (as I have) maybe you'd feel differently.

If that's the way you feel about budgies, then I'm sure you feel the same about fish?

They are wild animals, and in their natural environment many of them live in large groups, they have lots of room to swim about in etc.
But we keep them in tiny "cages", often individually, and with other species that they don't co-habit with in the wild.
Almost every tank is overstocked compared to their natural habitat, and we tend to keep large fish in ludicrously small tanks.

While I agree that it is preferable to see any animal in the wild, I realise that they will be kept as pets due to their attractive appearance and behaviour.
By no means do I advocate keeping them in small cages, with no exercise or stimulation, but if kept properly they can thrive and be perfectly happy - and live far longer than in the wild!

In general, animals will not reproduce if stressed or "unhappy", yet budgies are profligate breeders in captivity.

Some budgies will show repetitive behaviour (what we call stereotypies) if kept alone/in unsuitable surroundings.

They will also make repetitive noises/dances when kept properly, and indeed in the wild, as part of their normal behaviour. It is important to be able to differentiate the two.

The keeping of almost all animals in captivity has improved massively in the last few decades, and particularly the last few years as understanding of their requirements improves.

We can only hope that by studying them - in the wild and in captivity - we can continue to improve these standards and also to better educate people that keeping animals is not something to be entered into lightly.

- there's plenty more I could say, but unfortunately someone's just called me out to see their sick dog (more responsible animal keeping)

I have been thinkingof getting 2+ budgies for some time and I know that if I ever do I will never keep them in a cage.

My ex-boyfriend's brother had a budgie who was not in a cage (but had one to sleep in and eat etc, just never closed) and he was a very confident and friendly little guy even having been mistreated by his previous owner.

I don't agree with keeping any animal in a tiny space (fish too, I would never keep anything in less than a 10gallon and even then I only use that as a fry tank). My guinea pigs have somewhere theylive but they are free to wander about and do daily.

That'd be my plan for birds too, perhaps more so.

What about African Greys and Conure's? Mine are caged for about 7 hours a day, i suppose that is cruel too and i should let them fly free outside? I suppose it doesn't matter to you that for the most part birds which are kept in captivity are born and raised that way... I cant speak for anyone else who owns birds on here, but i know for my two they were raised from about a week old by humans and are happier around me that any birds.. I know you'll argue that this isn't 'natural', but its life! You suggesting that all birds should be allowed to fly free is ridiculous and uneducated! Do you know what would happen to captive raised birds if they were let loose?! They would be killed and eaten by the 'wild' animals, so i really dont think thats a good idea, do you?

Sorry for ranting, but it REALLY annoys me when people say stupid things like that a critise people about things they clearly know nothing about!

Jess

I have 6 budgies and 4 cockatiels. My budgies are kept in a cage but my cockatiels are not. They roam the house during the day and are only caged at night. I also have english budgies, which aren't found in the wild. Unless there are wild parakeets flying around england that I'm not aware of :D But my caged budgies have enough room to fly and are in a large enough group that they can be social.

I think you have a good point but most of these birds would be killed in the wild. The different colors would be picked out of a group by a predator in no time. These aren't "wild" birds. They are domesticated and would never be able to survive in the wild.

I have one bird (a cockatiel) that dances when I play music and sings to himself in a mirror, I don't think he's crazy... but if that's what some consider to be crazy then I guess my bird is just that.

Now larger birds like macaws I agree with you on. I think they are kept in cages far to small and most are never allowed to fly. Unless you have a huge back yard that you can make into a giant avairy, I don't think you should have a bird that big. But parakeets are more realistic.

Also, it's not like people are plucking parakeets out of their natural habitat and forcing them to live in cages. These birds are domestically bred and all they have ever known is a cage or a house. So technically they don't know what they are missing. It's not the greatest way to think about it but it's true.

After rereading what she/he has just said I don't think he wants you guys to let your pet bird out in the middle of canada or wherever you live. I think they mean that they should have never been domesticated in the first place or to not buy anymore birds and support the trade.

Jess said:
What about African Greys and Conure's? Mine are caged for about 7 hours a day, i suppose that is cruel too and i should let them fly free outside? I suppose it doesn't matter to you that for the most part birds which are kept in captivity are born and raised that way... I cant speak for anyone else who owns birds on here, but i know for my two they were raised from about a week old by humans and are happier around me that any birds.. I know you'll argue that this isn't 'natural', but its life! You suggesting that all birds should be allowed to fly free is ridiculous and uneducated! Do you know what would happen to captive raised birds if they were let loose?! They would be killed and eaten by the 'wild' animals, so i really dont think thats a good idea, do you?

Sorry for ranting, but it REALLY annoys me when people say stupid things like that a critise people about things they clearly know nothing about!

Jess
i completely agree,
this was exactly my arguement

it is completly irresponsible and unrealistic to have a bird (or any other small animal ) free outside (as they have many natural preditors and are far too domesticated)
or even loose in the house
they are like small children
they can easily drown, choke, be stepped on, poisoned squooshed behind doors or other objects, eaten by household cats/dogs, be burned, ANYTHING
you would not let a baby run loose without supervision would you?
besides, these birds are NOT wild as stated before
they do not have the survival skills to survive

no animal is in its natural habitat when it is a pet, but that does NOT mean that they are not happy and healthy
in fact they are (if properly cared for) both healthier, and safer in captivity
and i can't speak budgie but i am very certain that my bird is very very happy in his huge cage ment for a cockatiel pair (only with very close bars suitable for a parakeet)
he is a single bird in a huge cage with a billion toys/ mirrors, a bath, treats like millet and fresh veggi's, fresh food and water, you name it
he also has a playground outside the cage and several hours of free flying time and SUPERVISED interaction with family and other pets every day
is that not a happy life?
he is a very intelligent, interactive and cuddley bird
he is very pirky and both talks and does tricks on his own free will
he can't get enough praise, and cuddles
there is no way he could even begin to be happier
and once my career takes off if i have less time to spend with him i will provide him with a mate

its all about responsibility and knowledge
not rediculous, and unrealistic ideas

yeah but for as long as birds are being produced for the pet trade, people will continue to buy and enjoy them.

its no good saying that animals should never have been domesticated, they have been, and it would be nigh on impossible to undo it. I agree with everyone who agrees birds can reasonably be kept in cages.

I may be going to get a budgie soon. she will be kept in a cage and allowed to fly out once she is tamed but will be supervised at all times. I cannot and will not supervise her for 24 hours a day.

My cat and my birds get along :p

catandbird.jpg

Sometimes my stupid brother leaves the door open I don't notice it for a while. My birds can all fly and have 100s of chances per day to leave. If they weren't happy here I'm sure they would. (don't yell at me for being irresponsible)

The friendliest forum around ? yeah right!.Just make sure you agree with us!!!Auratus-you are the person who got it!!! I'm not suggesting you all let your domesticated birds out to be killed by the moggy next door or some other scenario. As for being uneducated, I am a ranger (field) with the National Parks and Wildlife service and also a member of w.i.r.e.s. This is a volunteer organisation who nurse injured wildlife so they can be released into their natural habitat.Every year,people are prosecuted attemting to smuggle wildlife out of this country and frankly it really P..... me off. I accept that your birds were most likely born in captivity but as animal lovers we need to think about supporting an industry which thrives on incarcerating animals.I read a post on this forum where a guy wants a monitor lizard as a pet.Get real!!!! Yes,Fraservet, I totally agree with your comments about fish. Living in a town which draws thousands of people annually to fish our waters (Yellowfin tuna & black marlin being the fish of choice) I have developed an interest in aquatic animals.The fact that grey nurse sharks are reaching extinction in our south east waters(due to accidental hook ups) hasn't stopped recreational or commercial fishermen from exercising their right to fish.Noone talks about the animals rights too much though.I'm sure you all treat your pets well, but there's no denying that for each one of you there's 1000 who don't. If this has made one person think about the quality of life they offer their pet then I'm glad.

Julie said:
The friendliest forum around ? yeah right!.Just make sure you agree with us!!!
well thats pretty immature :rolleyes:
obviously we have different opinions hun,
and it goes both ways
freedom of speach with out name calling
this is a very friendly forum
we are stating our honest opinions about the matter
and if we feel strongly, then we will not sensor our thoughts, only words (so as not to offend)
you can't post an opinion on something so widely spread around the world and expect noone to feel strongly against what you said
so what if we feel different
thats no reason to insult the forum/ members

Most reactions

Back