Brown algae

munkybutter

Reaction score
how do i get rid of brown algea, ive tried cleaning it all off the ornaments and glass 3 times now is there anything i can do without removing everything from the tank?
i have a snail but he doesnt touch the stuff.

Brown algae is almost always actually a diatom bloom the is caused by insufficient light. Sufficent lighting for a planted tank should be 10-12 hours a day with a average of 2 watts for each gallon. Fish from the genus Ottocinclus, such as the common Otto are very good at eating this form of algae IME. It is also quite easily scraped off or removed. :)

Get some Otos. I had a massive brown algae problem and these guys cleaned it all in 2 days. Definately recommended.

yep i'd have to recommend otocinclus aswell, did a good job on my tank!

ryan said:
Brown algae is almost always actually a diatom bloom the is caused by insufficient light. Sufficent lighting for a planted tank should be 10-12 hours a day with a average of 2 watts for each gallon. Fish from the genus Ottocinclus, such as the common Otto are very good at eating this form of algae IME. It is also quite easily scraped off or removed. :)
I found the opposite to be true. I left my tank lights off for 3 days and 99% of my brown algae disapeared. Of course this isn't a good solution if you have live plants but if you use fake ones you should try it :)

:) I have a way to remove all of the algae from the decorations, but it takes some time and you'll have to remove them from the tank. I tried it on all of my temples and columns (which had turned green from algae) the result as clean as if they were new! Let me know if you want to hear it. :thumbs:

(It's a common method to get rid of algae and I've done research on it to be sure that it was safe)

thanks for the replies, the tank is firly new and it has a 15 watt light thats on for 12 hours a day (for my plants) ill try leaving it for a while and if that doesnt work ill get some ottos.
Thanks for the help :)

Will brown algae bloom up before a tank is cycled? I have a three day old tank (purchased Saturday, Installed Saturday) and I've got an algae bloom started. (And of course there is no way that the tank can be cycled.)

Just from some of the comments, it seemed it didn't pop up until after the cycle had gone through its nonesense? :)

Thanks,

Becca

Yes, the diatoms often show up right about when the nitrite does. In new tanks it is normal and will go away on it's own after a few weeks. It seems to be related to high levels of silicates in new aquariums (probably from the silicon adhesive that holds the glass) and when those levels drop the brown algae disappears as quickly as it arrived.

Okay, good, must mean I'm doing something *right* then ;)

Moe and Pearl are happy little fishies, so they can play with their brown algae. :) It'll get partly removed on their water change tomorrow.

(Amen to ex-never-used-icecream makers and never-used-measuring cups for water changes!)

Becca

:flex: ♂ When it comes to brown algae, the too much or too little light
theory is usually bogus. Here are 3 things to consider...

1. Phosphates/silicates in your tap water, or silicates from another source like
an airstone. Those bonded sand style airstones break down, and add silicates
to aquarium water. Don't use these airstones, and if you think phosphates might
be coming from tapwater when you do partial water changes, use a phosphate
remover in your filter (PhosX, PhosGuard, etc).

2. Maybe overfeeding? This would provide nutrients needed for either brown
or green algae.

3. As mentioned by someone, diatoms in a newer, cycling tank. Just keep
cleaning it off, and it may start declining on its own after a while, and then you
might begin to get green algae. If the brown algae continues, and it is not a
phosphate/silicate, or overfeeding problem, get ottos.

The light issue applies more to green algae, and that would possibly have to do
with too much light, or tank being exposed to sunlight.

Most reactions

Back