Bristlenose Plec Prices

crazychris

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I fancy a BN as I'd to get rid of my common plec when it reached 14" long. :hyper: The lfs has them at £8.95 for ones about 2.5" long. Is that about right or is that expensive? Also the one I fancy is noticeably bigger than all the others and black with really long bristles. The others are brownish with NO BRISTLES. Why is that? Surely a BN should, erm, have bristles? :rolleyes: I'd prefer an albino one but they never get any in.

That is quite pricey for a bristlenose; unless it's a rare species or an unusual colour morph.

Only male bristlenoses get bristles; the females either don't at all, or just have a very few around their 'chin'

That is quite pricey for a bristlenose; unless it's a rare species or an unusual colour morph.

Only male bristlenoses get bristles; the females either don't at all, or just have a very few around their 'chin'

Thanks. No they're not special ones or anything.

same price around here, so i got mine of someone on here (5 albino 1 longfin 1 normal brown £37 inc delivery) which i thought were a good price coz they were healthy well looked after and home bred.

thats around the price for BN's here.LFS had them today for £6 for 1" and £10 for 2-3". iv got a little one in my tank about 4 inches at the moment. no bristles yet and i think that they dont realy grow them till their mature.
also they are very messy!! poo everywhere!!

They have tank bred ones in my LFS for £3.95 atm. I guess it just depends where you are!

i paid £20 for a super red bristlenose a few weks ago :hyper: but worth it as its different and looks great. i would buy a normal bristlenose from a breeder as you can get them from as little as £1.50 if you dont mind a small juvi. check the classifieds on here and on aquarist classifieds :good:

i paid £20 for a super red bristlenose a few weks ago :hyper: but worth it as its different and looks great. i would buy a normal bristlenose from a breeder as you can get them from as little as £1.50 if you dont mind a small juvi. check the classifieds on here and on aquarist classifieds :good:

Agree.

Try and find a local breeder (check aquarist classified / local club websites). Got mine (albino) for £2 each at a decent size.

I have just got 30+ albino fry :). I Know where you can get albinos but they are £10 and about 2"

Prices round here vary all the time, one LFS has "in shop" tank bred juvis for £4.00 and some nice brown adult(ish) one for £13.00, the other LFS has albino and natural juvis for about £7.00 and the slightly larger ones for about £13.00. They also had a "starlight" for £20.00 and another type for £20.00. I bought a sub adult albino male for about 8-10 can't quite remember, I would hate to see what they would charge now. I fiund super reds for a tenner but the guy wouldn't send them via courier, try your local classifieds and see if you could get a juvi or two from a local breeder :good:

If you fancy a trip to Aberystwyth you can have my male for free :)

Just back from LFS, they didn't have any of the stuff I went in for , but they did have BN Plecs, YEAH!!! you guessed it, I came home with one!! :drool:
I think it's female as no whiskers, "she" is about 2.5" long, when the guy lifted the small log he nearly netted a much larger one which was definately male, £15.00 though, they had a few mixed juvi albino and browns in another tank but I'm sure they were about £9.00.
He described this one as marbled, she has lots of light bands , creamy grey but I had to bring her home, dripping the bag just now, hope she likes her new home :good:
:fish:

haha yeah thats like 150+ miles probably.... he'd have to made of pure gold to be worth it :)

Most reactions

Back