Bogwood

cane76

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
i recently brought a huge piece for my new tank.the guy said to soak it for 2 weeks before putting it in is this right?seems like a very long time :(

A faster way is to boil it, it still takes hours and hours, though. Bogwood is a time consumer.

If it already sinks, and you don't mind your water tinting on account of tannins, boil it just long enough to kill off bacteria and plunk it right in.

I didn't want my water tinting, so I boiled it. My medium size bogwood peices, I boiled for around 10-12 hours each, 4 hour spurts, to get the tannins out. Add water, boil for about 30, pour, add water boil for about 30, pour.

Then accept the tannins or soak for ages. :thumbs: I think that even 2 weeks soaking time probably won't get it all out, if it's that big.

Tannins aren't bad. Lots of people enjoy the tinted water, and lots of fish do as well.

I think other people have boiled water and tossed it onto the wood, outdoors. Moving a boiling pot of water to and froe would be pretty precarious, though....

One piece I had was too big, so I just boiled part of it and turned it around, boiled part if it and turned it around. I didn't quite boil the middle all that well, but it leeched out enough tannins that I've experienced minimal color change.

Maybe someone on here has other tips for you.

Does the bogwood sink? Is that your concern? Or is it bacteria/parasites? Or is it tannins?

It's a good thing you can't boil it actually ! Anything longer than 10 minutes starts to weaken the wood and you'll probably find it falling apart fairly soon, while leaching loads of tannins.

You don't have to soak it at all. Just a quick rinse to get rid of any surface dirt and plonk it in the tank.
This however will cause the water to look quite brown for quite a few weeks, but having carbon in the filter helps to reduce this somewhat.

If you don't like the brown tinge to the water, soak it in a large tub or bucket for as long or little as you wish. Changing the water every day and replace with hot water. This will help to pull tannnins out quicker.

ive already had it soaking for 2 days and i was gonna put it in tomorrow if its safe.so the brown tinge will get filtered out if there is one?or is it water changes that get rid of it?

Really? I researched my bogwood a fair bit, and most people recommended boiling until the water stopped changing color, with at least 8 hours being average. At 10-12 hours... I basically gave up, said, "the tank is empty anyway!" and dropped 'em in.

soritan i dont know if it sinks yet i aint tried it.as for my concerns im not sure really if the tannings are safe im not bothered by the colour change i just dont wanna polute the water

Have to back up what bloozoo said re:rinsing bogwood - this is what was suggested to me and what I did. I then plonked it in the tank with a carbon filter. I'm sure the boiling is good advice though, especially for doing away with any nasties which might be present, and if you are bothered about the colour of your water.

Most reactions

Back