Bogwood Poisoning

Parasites can live in wood that why you have to use boiling water.
hi just looking at all sits just reading this one even if bobwood is in tanks in fish shop should you still boil should tell you in shop if yiu are a novious

Ah so you mean parasites that can live out of water and in water? That would make sense if she only rinsed it. So it is theoretically possible if a little unlikely.

Um...lol, did you ask what KIND of wood she used? Was it even SAFE for aquarium/fish use? Hahaha if she used something stupid like cedar who knows...

I never have steralized any of my wood :S If I buy a peice, it's for use in my tank, not to sit in a bucket for 2 months. Give it a rinse (I never have yet) and plop it in, make sure you have up to par filtration and keep up tank maintenance you'll be fine. Buying it from a place you know gets good wood helps too, I've only bought it from my work so I know it's fine.

yes it was the right wood bought from the right place (bogwood from uni pac)

Im never gonna drop a piece of bogwood straight into my tank. Twelve years in the trade and Ive never heard of it either but thats not to say its impossible. Shes an experienced fishkeeper and lost a lot of decent fish.

I would have considered boiling mine, but not even half of it would fit in my largest pot at once. Instead I soaked it in the largest cooler I had, and even then I had to flip it cause it would not all fit in.

Um...lol, did you ask what KIND of wood she used? Was it even SAFE for aquarium/fish use? Hahaha if she used something stupid like cedar who knows...

I never have steralized any of my wood :S If I buy a peice, it's for use in my tank, not to sit in a bucket for 2 months. Give it a rinse (I never have yet) and plop it in, make sure you have up to par filtration and keep up tank maintenance you'll be fine. Buying it from a place you know gets good wood helps too, I've only bought it from my work so I know it's fine.
me neither. poured it over the wood, after a short soak. even the link provided by wilder says nothing about boiling it, simply pouring boiling water over it. i cant see that killing stuff inside the wood. indeed there may be an argument to say, boiling/cooking, could start the breakdown of the wood, potentially starting the rot. i totally agree with the link, however that was not the advice given in this thread.
c. Parasites. I have not witnessed any such problems and always sterilise bogwood prior to use, by pouring boiling water over it.

When I buy Bog Wood. I pour Boiling water over it and then give it a good scrub. this removes any loose bits and dislodges anyhting in tthw wood.
Then i wash it again with boiling water and scrub. then i jet spray the wood with a power washer, just to be safe.
if i have a big peice then i let it soak in one of the water butts for a few weeks before i use it.
But i always use boiling water.

On Top of that just to be doubly safe. I will let in soak in a bucket of Pond Disinfectant for a few hours and then wash again before it goes in.

I've never boiled a bit of wood in my life, not even the bits i've picked off the beach, its pretty hard to boil half a small tree in your average domestic kitchen ;)
All i do is give them a good scrub with a wire brush to remove any dirt and loose bits and then jet hose them down in the garden to wash off anything else. I've certainly never heard of anyone losing fish because of bogwood before, it sounds to me like there is another cause and the addition of the wood was just a co incidence, its very easy to blame new things for problems that might have been there building up unseen.
There is also the slight chance the wood was wrongly packaged and wasn't aquarium safe, softwoods like pine and cedar contain turpentine in their sap which is deadly to aquatic life but perfectly safe for land animals, if the wood was intended for use with reptiles but had got mixed up in the packaging plant it could well be from a toxic tree.

I'm sure PFK did an article on the dangers of bogwood with certain fish (especially Asian cyprinids)

You have to steralise bogwood and soak it for two days mainly to kill the parasites and remove toxins.

As noted by CFC, I don't do that with my pieces of wood. The only container big enough to hold the pieces I have in water is my tank.

Parasites can live in wood that why you have to use boiling water.

Exactly what parasites that will wipe out a tank live in bog wood? (Remembering that bogwood is petrified wood that has sat at the bottom of a bog for a large number of years.)

sorry for hijacking the tread but since you are all talking about sterilization of bogwood...

How would you sterilize bogwoods that have plants attached to them? (tropica) You can't pour boiling water over them...
I didn't sterilize it - I just put it in the tank...

sorry for hijacking the tread but since you are all talking about sterilization of bogwood...

How would you sterilize bogwoods that have plants attached to them? (tropica) You can't pour boiling water over them...
I didn't sterilize it - I just put it in the tank...
i think the point being made is you don't! you soak it if it floats, or just put it in the tank after a good wash.

Exactly what parasites that will wipe out a tank live in bog wood? (Remembering that bogwood is petrified wood that has sat at the bottom of a bog for a large number of years.)

This is what I want to know too. What aquatic parasites -- that will be parasitic to fish -- can live on or in wood for any extended amount of time? Certainly not any of the relatively common ones like Ich. Ich has to have fish in its life cycle or it dies -- and it does not survive drying out. Nor something like gill flukes that has to have an animal to parasitize, not wood.

Wilder, you need to provide some sources for these things -- the author of that web page you linked to actually says he's never witnessed any problems with parasites. Unless there are parasites in the first place, his pouring boiling water over it would be the same as me "saying the magic words 'ooga booga' " before putting wood in the tank. Just because I've never had a problem with parasites from my wood, doesn't mean that my magic phrase 'ooga booga' works. Just it doesn't mean that boiling water works. I don't think that there are going to be parasites in the first place, so I don't think that it means much.

Most reactions

Back