Bogwood And Bubbles

1234-fishy-freind

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi all...i have a stream of bubble going through a piece of bogwood and since i put it in my water tends to go slightly browner faster...could that be why ?

The bubbles will potentially increase the amount of water that moves past the bogwood, and may contribute to the water going brown faster.

It may also be that hte tannins are leaching out of the wood more as the tank water penetrates it further. How long have you had the wood in the tank?

I put a piece of wood that I bought from a store in one of my tanks and it put off a steady (but small) stream of bubbles for almost a week.

The tannis and bubbles will eventually all come out of the wood. You'll have to keep up with your water changes to get the tannis out of the water, though.

From what I read some fish enjoy the tannins. Just keep a eye on your fish. Normally people soak the wood to take them out but I see no big deal as you don't mind having maroonish water. The bubbles are just there probably from having the wood out of the tank for shipping or having them out of the tank for a little while. There are a lot of areas in the wood that can trap air.

he wood has been there for about 2 moths...i do 20% water changes every other week and i aslo soaked it for about a week before i added it...will it eventually stop then /?

yes but its the how long is piece of string question. May end soon, then again may leech for a while longer yet.

water changes will keep on top of it, as previously mentioned your fish will actually prefer it stained.

if you really want crystal water get some purigen or something similar in your filtration

When xingumike said add "Purigen", that is a media, NOT A CHEMICAL. Do not add "clear water" chemicals to your tank.

Purigen is good though. Good water buffer.

Most reactions

Back