Blue Ringed Octopus

uploading video now. playing Modern Warfare 2 on my ps3 online so the upload will be done in about 45 mins

Blue Ring Octopus Feeding time video online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dPSzWgDnuY

Enjoy, and leave comments!!

uploading video now. playing Modern Warfare 2 on my ps3 online so the upload will be done in about 45 mins
bet the vidoes are even slower dowloading when black ops comes out :lol:

the tank looks great does the octo not eat the goby or is he just lucky

Ha, yeah black ops will be super fun.

The footage is him still in his temporary tank, the proper tank is even better, but already filling up with crab corpses. :p

There are two small gobies and four shrimps in there that he doesn't touch. Guess he just loves crabs. He eats at least one that size a day at the moment.

that looks a fantastic animal to keep!! wish I could have one with no risk of it killing me!!

I mean, i don;t want to sound like a complete.. i guess, adrenaline junky or anything, but as much as keeping a normal octopus and being able to handle it appeals to me, there is just something so special about keeping one that is on the top 5 list of most deadly creatures on the planet. I know it sounds silly, and a lot of people don't understand. I have had tarantulas, scorpions and centipedes all of which can kill me (i am allergic to bees so much more susceptible to stings from those), and have also had close encounters with various deadly snakes here in Australia.

And on that subject, i really think the Blue Ring should be higher on the deadly list. I mean really;
- it's well camouflaged so hard to see if you happen to be in it's region
- it's bite is almost painless so you might not even know you've been bitten till it's too late
- it's venom can immobilize you in 3 MINUTES! That's barely enough time to call an ambulance, let alone time for one to get to you. And if you loose a minute because you don't even realize you've been bit, well, you're pretty much dead. There are no other creatures on any deadly animals lists that i have seen that can kill a human quite that fast (aside from the shock and drowning factor that Box Jellyfish have, and of course non-venomous killers like sharks and hippos)

Thoughts?

And here's another Picture:
DSCF8150.jpg

Hmm. a plan if i get tagged?

Roll cigarette.
Call Mum and Dad and sister and Girl to tell them i love them.
Light cigarette.
Post goodbye on facebook.

:p

:rolleyes: Im now getting loads of weird looks now!! I actually snorted with laughter and choked on my coffee in a cafe LOL

That last response is genius....

That aside, i am soooo jealous!! He looks amazing and doesnt look unhappy even in that tank! Its not like they are the biggest or most active of species, im sure he is loving having food posted into his letterbox so to speak!!

I am so going to have one when i am settled down!

Would love to see/know more about the tank design and filtration and your feeding hatch!

Having a subcertification in Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine, I can certainly tell you and concur with all here that the bite of the BRO is deadly and, the process is not fun.

Be that as it may, I think keeping an octupus is truly a wonder and challenge in our section. However, my only concern is what are the local laws in Australia for collecting this specimen? If Australian laws permit it, then, this is really cool. If it is against the law to collect this specimen, then, unfortunately, I am not supportive of this thread. I would be curious to know. Does anyone know the laws in Australia for collecting the BRO?

SH

If you haven't already done so, be sure to read the section on Haplochlaena spp. in the new "Cephalopods" book from TFH by Colin Dunlop and Nancy King. There's some very relevant stuff in there you need to know. It's also a great book simply to read for fun.

Anyway, the venom is tetrodotoxin, and this causes voluntary muscles to stop working. The heart continues to work, but breathing may not, and survivors get through the ordeal by being given breathing support on the way to the hospital and being hooked up to respirators once there. The authors note that they're conscious through the whole ordeal! Make darn sure you have the type of venom written down somewhere that everyone can read and knows about, so if something happens your family can tell the paramedics what's happened. This is very good advice for all types of venomous fish as well, and I recommend that people keeping lionfish and shark catfish do the same thing.

Oh, and remember, this isn't just about you. Children are as likely, if not more likely, to get bitten when playing around the tank. As/when the octopus escapes, your family should know they shouldn't pick it up and put it back in the tank.

One of the things about the bite that is most alarming is that it doesn't work instantly and the bite itself may not even hurt; it's possible to be bitten without actually knowing it! Symptoms such as dizziness set in after a while, at which point it may be too late to get medical help.

For what it's worth, the lifespan of these species is quoted at 6-8 months. Obviously if you collect an adult specimen, it likely won't live for more than a fraction of that time even under the best of circumstances. On top of that the species ships poorly and doesn't adapt well to captivity.

If I recall correctly, Colin Dunlop hangs around the TONMO forums a lot, and this is one of those times where a recommendation to go to another forum may make sense. Since he's kept these octopuses and written about his experiences, he's probably the best person to speak with about their care and requirements.

Cheers, Neale

Most reactions

Back