black male sailfin

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sakaspuds

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
its one of the new black sailfins i got 2 weeks ago, just today i noticed it doing that shimmy thing mollies do, but i forgot why mollies do it, i think it is something to do with low electrolites? but only this one mollie has been doing it, should i worry about it? do more frequent water changes? (i currently do 10-25% 2 or 3 times a week)

-_- not sure. but i thought it was due to the fish being chilled in some way. do you put fresh water in straight from the tap or do you try and warm it to room temperature first?

Actually females will do this on the bottom just before giving birth (usually in a corner) my mae sword that i had had for around a month did the same thing and died the next mroning !!! :(

I thought when mollies do that it is poor water conditions (lfs Said) but if only one fish does it out of all of them, I doubt it. I had a female that was fine never did that, I put her in a 5 gal to give birth, it stressed her out so much I put her back with the others and she started doing that and still does.

:) maybe you ned to add some aqualibrium salt. this gives them the minerals they need.

:) it looks like you mostly have livebearers anyway. did i see a gourami in the picture? to be honest i dont know with you having anything other than livebearers.

aquarium salt will do alot for livebearers especially mollies
just remove the gourami and add plenty of salt.
good luck and keep us posted :thumbs:

Well inbred mollies wont do good with salt .... they have never seen salt ... along with plecos among other fish ... It may help your live bearers yes .. I need more detail on which are in which tank .... 86 fish is WAY too many for 30 gal. worth of water ... the mollies need to be gotten rid of within the next week I would say .. What is the deal you just let the fry run loose ?? 2 big tanks would be great ./..... 1 community 1 live bearer

i started with 1 dalmatian and 1 blloon/sailfin cross, both female, it was a shock to me when i had a tank full of fry one day, anyway to cut a long story short, i do love my fish and want to keep them, but i realise i have far too many, i'm trying to pick my fave mollies to stay in my 3 foot tank, and all the rest i am putting in the 2 foot one, those are the ones i can 'give away'

i'm not sure, but i think most of the mollies i have are still too small to sell to a pet shop

:fun: Oh well then exscuse me I thoguht they were all older fish if htey are fry your are prbly fine. So did you progress to get sailfins silver exct. ??? also how many babies did your balloon have (just out of cruiosity)

its hard to say exactly, but about 60 fry the first time, then around 40 the second, then the 3rd time i decided not to net them,
i know its cruel, but i had so many i had to, but still abot 20 or more grew up, i have been giving them away to people, but after a while they have too many so wont take anymore,
i think i have had 4 lots of babies from my massive balloon/sailfin cross female, i managed to give 10 of the bigger ones away today, and i'll be asking the petshop if they want to buy some from me when they get a bit bigger...

even though i have about 5 dalmtian females i hardly get any dalmatian fry, about 2 or 3 to every 20 molly fry, and they tend to be a lot smaller than the sailfins, although i have a very crossbred fish, its part sailfin part balloon and part dalmatian, and its massive, the biggest male molly i have i think i will keep the big male sailfins i have, so far i have managed to breed 2 the big dalmatian one and a normal green one, you have to raise a lot of fry to get a sailfin, i dont know the odds, but its gotta be 1 in 100, i recently got a red one and a yellow one, both sold as gold sailfin mollies, i am hoping to get some more nce ones from these, because i will have people knocking at my door for mollies like those, they are very pretty

i have no problem with having a bigger tank, i work for a window company and can make a tank for nothing, the problem is where i put it, i have no where to house another tank just yet...

Most reactions

Back