BETTER FISHMATES.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I would say this completely depends on your tank size it may be that they don't have enough room between all of them? Rummy nose tetras are more than likely to share the same problem for your Angel fish with them being about the same size. These fish are also shoaling fish which could annoy the Angel fish.

Some of the best tank mates for angel fish i have found in previous tanks have been -
Dwarf Gourami's
Mollies
Catfish and Plecos

Mollies and Angels are not a good mix. Rummy nose are to delicate. I have always liked Serpae or Lemon Tetras with Angels.

A bit out of the topic .. I am more into what fish fancies me .. while I am in LFS ... and yeah those feels like centuries ago ...

finding best tank mates is really is time consuming .

Sometimes the try and tested combinations are just that. They work and will always work.

I have found that these fish can get on and have had a lot of success with angels being involved in some of my large community tanks that I have setup. One of my good friends have actually just had their angels breed in a large community tank. Full of mollies!!!

Sorry but I keep on saying that housing Angels and Mollies together is a mistake.

Mollies require : pH 7.5 to 8.5 - hardness : 20 to 30 dGH - very active dwellers.
Angels require : 6.5 to 7.5 - hardness : 3 to 10 dGH - slow dwellers and rather calm cichlids but still cichlids...

Anything's blindingly obvious ?

I do not understand aquarists who place what they want over what the fish needs. I have always considered the health and well-being of the fish to be primary, as it should be with any captive animal.

I don't consider mollies to be compatible with angelfish. The former must have moderately hard or harder water, 15 dGH is minimum, and mollies will be better with a higher GH, up to 30 dGH, and a basic pH (above 7 up to high 8's). Angelfish are very soft water fish, although the generations of commercially-raised fish has allowed their water parameter needs to be somewhat more "basic," but the GH should be no higher than 15 dGH, with a pH no higher than 7.5, which means that neither fish will be well served by trying to compromise. These values (GH and pH, along with temperature) are what drive the fish's metabolism and the physiology of the species has evolved over thousands of years and is now part of their genetic "blueprint." It cannot be ignored if one cares about the health of the fish. [I've used the ranges from Seriously Fish for these two species, ranges which are perhaps liberal but people always want "numbers."]

And before it is mentioned, the fact that these fish may survive what we force on them does not mean they could not be better cared for; the further outside the species' parameters, the more difficulty they have just maintaining necessary life functions. They may swim normally, feed normally, and even spawn--but that does not mean they are in the best of health. Like most all animals, they will "make do" with what they are thrown into, but surviving is not thriving. And responsible aquarists should consider the needs of the fish first and foremost.

Most reactions

Back