Betta_246 Is Joining The Salty Side! :d

aly_starh

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hello All, I just purchased my marine tank, it is the 2 foot Juwel Rekord 600, (65l) , same as my Tropical Tank!

Can't wait to get started! :D

But a few questions, It has the Monolux hood, which has a T8 15w light with reflectors. I want to keep a few easy corals
in the future, so how do i change this and what light is best. T5?

Secondly, the things i need:
*Skimmer
*Ro water
*Live rock (will use the TFF calculator)
*Aragonite sand (10kg)
*Powerheads (how many)
*Heater
*refractometer
*test Kits
*salt

Anything else, i may have forgot? :)

Thirdly, Do i need a filter?

And finally.. any advice?

~Betta_246 :D

EDITED:

Make sure your light unit is suitable for keeping corals. Typically freshwater bulbs are 6500k colour rating. You want at least 10000k bulbs. T5 bulbs are good enough for most of the easy corals.

Are you going to buy RO water and mix your own salt? Or buy pre-mixed?

Either way I would also get a suitable container where you can mix your water, and also an extra powerhead and heater to mix the water & get it to the right temp before water changes.

As you have the juwel, you can buy high lite bulbs - marine blue will give you 22000k and the marine white, if i remember correctly is 14000 - bung reflectors on a get even more woo hoo

Seffie x

:fish:

How many powerheads will i need?
Do i need a filter? I want a few soft corals in the future.
and also i just checked the HighLites Seffie, and it says they are T5's. I need T8's.

Betta_246 :D

I recommend buying a refractor meter online on ebay. i saved myself $50 doing that and the thing was brandnew and came with 10 plastic water sucking thing whatever it is called lol, looks like a needle to gather water.

How many powerheads will i need?
Do i need a filter? I want a few soft corals in the future.
and also i just checked the HighLites Seffie, and it says they are T5's. I need T8's.

Betta_246 :D

Ah ok - i would suggest looking out for a second hand t5 ibar unit - you have the time to wait so could get a bargain woo hoo

Your live rock will be your filter :good:

You will need one for your tank, a koralia 1 will be fine or a tunze nano and one for mixing your salty stuff unless you are going to buy salted water from lfs, which i don't recommend as it is rarely the sg you want for corals - 1.026 (but ask, you never know)

Seffie x

:fish:

OK... just sold the Juwel 65l... Gonna wait for funds and then invest in something bigger as i'm a newbie!

Will defos start a journal when 'new' tank arrives!!
:)

Most reactions

Back