Betta Making Strange Noise

khobden

Reaction score
Recently I've noticed that every now and them my betta makes a clicking noise. I can hear this noise from across a room. When he does this his head moves up and down (sort of looks like he's choking) and then he swims to the surface for air. I only last for a few seconds. I have two other bettas and neither of them have ever done this. If anyone has any advice as to what this is or if it's a problem I would love to hear it.

Mine do that (and move their head up and down) when they're eating.
I can only hear 1 of my boys clicking when they're eating, though - and I have to listen closely to hear it...

Do you know if he might be eating something, or does he just do it randomly?

Does he have a computer in his tank? Maybe he's on TFF. It could be the keys clicking as he types. :rolleyes:
heh heh

But seriously - I just spent a pretty good amount of time scanning through several articles where folks had posed the same question on the web to various forums and stuff, and no one seems to have an answer. So it's not just you - but nobody knows why they do it.

Well, it looks like I know what i'm going to be doing tomorrow at work to keep myself busy all day. B)

I'll come on back and let you know if I find anything out!

Oooh, good to hear I'm not going entirely crazy! Only 2 out of my 4 do it, & it just seems to be completly randomly. Looks almost like they're clicking their back or something crazy. :blink:

Yay for me not being completely batty :D

Sounds interesting. I've only heard mine do it when they eat pellets.

Perhaps they're grinding their teeth :D

Aaah - that's a great point.
I just thought about my bettas, and sometimes I will see them chewing a pellet they took in several minutes earlier....

Could it be possible that they're maybe picking up pellets from the bottom of the tank and chewing them up at that point?

Most reactions

Back