Betta Has Dropsy ?

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My betta developed a big belly. I cut back on the feding and just fed pease. But this didnt help. His belly still there. He swims and eatingfine tho. I do water changes every week. Can too much water dechlorinador cause this its all i can think of. Water stats are showing fine with the test results.

My betta developed a big belly. I cut back on the feding and just fed pease. But this didnt help. His belly still there. He swims and eatingfine tho. I do water changes every week. Can too much water dechlorinador cause this its all i can think of. Water stats are showing fine with the test results.

Are you using a liquid testing kit? Is he the only fish in the tank? And define "fine"?

Hi hes with a snail only and the results are normal from the chart. I use liquid test kit with the tubes.

Hi hes with a snail only and the results are normal from the chart. I use liquid test kit with the tubes.

You need to define normal. How many ammonia molecules are there parts per million? Example:
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrtie-0ppm
Nitrate-10ppm

Do you have a seperate quarantine tank you can either put the betta or the snail?
Then I recommend using Mardel Maracyn Plus. Follow the instructions, monitor your stats, and keep feeding your betta peas, and hopefully he recovers. :good:

I will have to retest tomorrow. I dont have any other tanksjust the 5 gal chi by fluval.

I will have to retest tomorrow. I dont have any other tanksjust the 5 gal chi by fluval.

Do the treatment anyway, but there is a chance the snail will not make it. Invertebrates are sensitive to certain medications. Also be aware that the antibiotics might kill off the bacteria in the filter, and after treatment you will need to monitor the stats and change the water daily until the bacteria have returned :good:

Just did a test this morning here are my results. Also my snail died for some reason :-(

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5
Nitrite 0.1

edit: i use Hagen test kit, they are each in individual boxes water test kits.

Just did a test this morning here are my results. Also my snail died for some reason :-(

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5
Nitrite 0.1

edit: i use Hagen test kit, they are each in individual boxes water test kits.

Did you add the medicine already? And there should always be 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrite. Nitrite is also toxic to fish and invertebrates.

I did a 50% water change and fed some peas just before i left for work this afternoon. No medications were added as of yet, tomorrow i will go out to buy something by Maracyne. But before adding the medication i will re-test and change the water if needed.

Went to wal-mart they did not carry any products for Dropsy. So i just did another test here are my results.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Not sure what's going on with the Nitrates but it didn't change nor have the others been effected. Could this be a false result from the kit?

Went to wal-mart they did not carry any products for Dropsy. So i just did another test here are my results.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Not sure what's going on with the Nitrates but it didn't change nor have the others been effected. Could this be a false result from the kit?

Doubt it, liquid tests are very accurate. Is there a PetSmart or Petco or a LFS around? Try them, and either buy Mardel Marayn Plus or do a combo of Maracyn and Maracyn-2 (these are in powder form)

I have to wait to take the street car out tomorrow some time. Wal-Mart had only medication by Jungle which was for Ich, body fungus, and wounds. Does this mean my tank ran into a mini-cycle of sorts?

I have to wait to take the street car out tomorrow some time. Wal-Mart had only medication by Jungle which was for Ich, body fungus, and wounds. Does this mean my tank ran into a mini-cycle of sorts?

Why would your tank be in a mini cycle? Your stats are perfectly normal.
Nitrite is toxic
Nitrate is not toxic, and harmless unless over 50ppm
If you don't mind paying for shipping, buy the medicine online from Amazon.
In the meantime, try feeding your betta some garlic juice soaked food.

To make garlic juice:
1) Take about half a clove, peel it, and cut the ends of the individual ones.
2) Take a cup, and fill it with hot tap water. Dechlorinate it.
3) Microwave the Garlic cloves for 5 seconds, sometimes repeatedly, until you hear them all pop like popcorn. This pops the hull, allowing the juice to escape.
4) Slice the garlic into itty bitty long slices, very small.
5) Put the garlic in the cup, cover it with plasitc foil, and let it soak for 12 or more hours at room temperature (don't put it in the fridge!)
6) The longer it soaks, the more concentrated it is.
7) Take a strainer and remove all the garlic chunks leaving only pure juice.
8) Soak bettas food in a little garlic juice for maybe 5 minutes and then feed

Garlic is a great immuno booster to fish, and it will help the betta fight the infection until medicine arrives. :good:

Oh i see, I'm doing a quick water change anyhow lol.

Most reactions

Back