Betta Feeding Habits

smokie

Reaction score
Hi folks, I got my first betta yesterday and he's looking fine, but I was watching him feeding this morning and he seemed to be spitting a lot of the food he had taken back out again. Is this a normal reaction or do I have problem with my fish.

what kind of food are you feeding him? you might want to ask the pet store or lfs you got him at what they fed him and then get some of that. mine spit up food too, specially when they're just settling in to a new environment.

what kind of food are you feeding him? you might want to ask the pet store or lfs you got him at what they fed him and then get some of that. mine spit up food too, specially when they're just settling in to a new environment.
The chap at the aquatic store I purcahced the Betta from recomeended the food, to me it looks like a standard tropical flake food, maybe try some live feed?

you could i guess. i normally only give mine live if i am conditioning them for breeding or as a treat once in a while. you could also just try letting him settle in for a few days, it could just be that he's in a new place.

The chap at the aquatic store I purcahced the Betta from recomeended the food, to me it looks like a standard tropical flake food, maybe try some live feed?

Most bettas won't eat flake food at all. Try betta pellets, and live or frozen food are always great (especially bloodworms!)

Most bettas won't eat flake food at all. Try betta pellets, and live or frozen food are always great (especially bloodworms!)
+1

bettas arent really flake food fanatics. hikari bio gold is a highly recommended food and i have had success with it. however, bettas can be very picky. sometimes it takes them a day or two to settle down and start accepting the food. some bettas do this faster than others. if worse comes to worse, buy more than on *pellet* food and see if your betta will hold one down over the other.

it is very common for bettas to "spit out" their food when they are introduced to a new home.

edit: quick side note- I have a betta that absolutely WILL NOT eat freeze dried bloodworms. grrrrr...... he obviously doesnt know that i had to spend extra money on those.

Most reactions

Back