Betta Changing Color

funnydemonfairy

Reaction score
okay, so i went off to work today and i came back and my betta was two toned. his top half was still red but the rest of him was orange-ish. should i be worried? he seems normal. just he's color has changed. so, yeah, should i be worried?? be honest.

My Betta when I got him was totally white and now he has some very faint blue in his tail and red sploches over him. So sometimes they change color when they become unstressed.

does the color appear like stripes across body? stress stripes like this picture

Attachments

• betta_splendens2_x.jpg
    betta_splendens2_x.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 59
well, my betta has those light stripes. and i've had him for over a month now. so, does that mean he's stressed? and if it does, how can i "unstress" him? also, i woke up this morning and part of his dorsel fin had come off. it was small but still, im worried now. he's changing color and how his fin is tearing off. whats going on????

Something is wrong for sure. . . um but what I don't know. (helpful huh? ;) )

Here's the deal. . .
How's the water?
How's the food?
How's the water temp?
Etc. . .

Let us know - and we'll help you out the best-est we can.

the water is good i just cleaned out the tank. the temp is worm i keep it above 70 F all the time. he's eating well, i feed him twice a day. one or two flakes in the morning then two more at night. for the water i always add that liquid stuff to make the water safe. he likes his food. and i hear him slpashing around at night. but yeah like you said, there's something wrong.

He "splashes" around?? Hmm. . is that normal?? Well I would treat for fin rot and get him on some meds.

I'm wondering if you notice that he tries to scrap himself against stuff in the tank??

How often do you change the water and how big is the tank???

Sounds like something is wrong, but without a pic I couldn't guess exactly what. It's not really normal for them to be splashing around a lot, and I'd say it's a sign of stress. I have 10 bettas in my bedroom and I never hear them splashing around at night. For now, I'd treat with Bettafix or Melafix, as these are good general treatments; use 1/4th the dose recommended on the back of the bottle if you use Melafix, as bettas are sometimes sensitive to it (Bettafix is just a diluted form of Melafix, they have the exact same active ingredient). Also, I'd try switching to a pellet food designed for bettas, as these tend to be higher quality than flakes. My personal fave is Hikari Betta Bio-Gold ;)

actully, my mistake, i do feed him pellets. i give him blood worms now and then but he doesnt seem to like them. and i've tried getting pictures but it's hard. he swims around a lot. also, the supposed stress stripes dont come out in the pictures and you can't really see the part of his fin that appears to be torn. i forget how big his tank is. it's definitly bigger than two gallons. i change the water every weekend, sometimes i've done it every two weeks. so, what should i do if the bettafix stuff doesn't work?

Well it's really hard to say what meds to give him - as we don't quite know what he's got besides fin rot. Take a close look and see if there are any other signs besides fin rot & stress lines. . . he might have other symptoms :S I know I am totally useless to ya right now. . . but I don't know what else I could suggest. . . . sorry. :/

it's not useless at all. it helps to know something. every little bit helps. but so far those are the only symptoms he has. fin roit and stress. he's eating will and swimming like always. so yeah thanks. so the bettafix should help, right??

Bettafix works in mild cases. You can treat him with that, follow the directions on the bottle. When the treatment ends, if he's not better, or he gets worse, stop the treatment, change out all his water, and treat with Maracyn. If you have IAL or Black Water Extract, add that as it will make him feel more comfortable.

Most reactions

Back