Best Type Of Filter For A New 75 Gallon Tank?

ey2006

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm planning to get a new 4 foot tank, which equates to about 75 gallons.

I was wondering if I could still use hang on back filters (the strongest one) for a tank this size or if I needed to get an external canister one?

There are lots of filters out there, but I really only know how the HOB filters functions, I don't know much about the internal, canister and undergravel filters. :*)

What are my options and which type of filter do you think would be best suited for my tank? The whole setup is probably going to cost a bit as I'm planning to get everything (heater, filter, light, gravel etc) in one go. However, I am willing to spend a bit more on the filter now if it is a valuable investment in the long run! :D

For instance, I've read that canister filters are really reliable, quiet, and doesn't require much maintenance, compared to the HOB, but the canisters are also the most expensive ones. If the benefits outweigh the cost in the long run, I think its worth it.

Thanks for reading, look forward to learning more about filters so I can make an informed decision as to which one to buy! :)

Thanks for the replies. Would I be able to get a HOB or Internal one if its strong enough for the tank size?

Or are they not recommended for larger tanks? Any other suggestions?

I use an external Eheim 2224 professional and an internal interpet PF4 as the filtration on my 40Uk gallon 4 foot tank. You can pick the 2224 up these days for about £70 with all the filter media for it.
I could probably just use one of the above filters for my tank but like to over filtrate and then ive got a backup if one filter fails.

I don't want to start up the debate on which particular brand filter is better than another, but I'd defineitely only go with a cannister filter.

Most reactions

Back