Best Tank Cleaners?

Assuming its for marine since its in the marine section.

It depends what kind of algae it is, but for the most part snails do a great job. Some turbos, trochus, cerith, and margarita snails should all do you well.

240l marine tank. how many of what kind? its a brown colour algie on the glass also green

From my experience, turbos and especially trochus are more apt to graze on the algae along the grass, but they still go along the rock as well. With a tank that size you can do quite a bit of snails (ideal amount would be around 20-30). Turbos get the biggest so I would suggest 4 or 5 of them, while trochus stay a bit smaller, so around 10 would probably do well.

Cerith and Nassarius (which i forgot to mention before) will stay more on the sand especially the nassarius which bury themselves into the sand, both are mostly nocturnal but are great for turning your sand. If you wanted to get them, perhaps around 10 of either of them, or a mixture of both would be fine too.

Besides snails you could get some crabs, like emerald crabs which do a wonderful job with bubble algae and hair algae. You also do hermits, but don't count on them for too much work with algae, they're more of a lazy scavenger.

Turbos are about $2 each, Trochus $1.75 ea, nassarius $1.50 ea, Emerald crabs are $8 ea, hermits very by type but generally around $1.75 ea.

Sea hares will ONLY eat hair algae and when they run out you must supplement their diet or otherwise risk starvation. So that's something to remember.

I actually rented my one from a local fish shop, might be worth asking for if you need to remove some hair algae :)

Mine will be going back in a week or two. Its done a fantastic job, and has also eaten the caulerpa roots that I couldnt remove from the rocks. Also, what would you supliment the hair algae for if I wanted to keep him?

Thanks.

Most reactions

Back