Beginner Small Tank Diary

darryl864

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Background

My second daughter has expressed an interest in having fish and as we currently have no pets we have decided to set-up a small fish tank with some fish for her and my other two daughters. After looking at length at hundreds of tanks we have finally decided upon the Arcadia Arc Tank 35 Litres (28 x 40 x 33cm WxLxH). This tank was chosen mostly because my wife only wanted a small tank and most other tanks would over power the room. A close contender was the Eheim Aquastar 54 Litre (60cm x 30cm x 30cm). I also managed to talk the wife into getting a tropical tank as she wanted to get goldfish. After looking on the web we discovered that small tanks and goldfish don't mix. Also Hannah has seen a glass catfish which is tropical.

So what next? Well I will be deciding upon what fish to place into the tank. How many? Any advice regarding the Glass Catfish? I have also seen tonight the Endler's Livebearers which look good on the following thread:
http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...or-A-10-Gallon/
Not seen any of these in the shops we have been to though!

And also thinking about how to decorate it. I would like to consider live plants after reading the following articles:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...?article_id=566
http://www.fishforums.net/content-page/160...ination/page/0/
Is this a good idea for a complete Novice? What do I need what plants are best? What are the advantages other than the looks?

As for the other decor of the tank I think that Hannah is in charge and has seen some rather fetching pink gravel!

I also intend to put up some pictures as I go so everyone can see how I get on and also because I had great difficulty in finding a picture of the Arcadia Arc Tank glass lid. Also I would like you to see what the tank looks like in the dark with the open design Arc lamp as I have been unable to find this anywhere.

Next post will be when I receive the goods and I will be going through the initial se-tup.

If you want success with plants, then a dedicated substrate is the way to go, no pink or other gaudy colours. A naturally coloured gravel will bring out the fishes natural colours. Also remember that fish can't blink, so to live constantly with a brightly coloured gravel wouldn't be particularly pleasant. Stick to hardy plants like any of the Hygrophilas or some Vallis and you won't go far wrong.

Thanks for the info I will advise my daughter acordingly.

I have checked on the status of the tank and it says it is dispatched. My next purchase will be to get some ammonia and a water testing kit. I read the liquid ones are best, any advice on which brand? (Getting ready for fishless cycling as per instructions at the following [topic="113861"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...shless-Cycling/[/topic] going for the add and wait method).

I suppose I should also be thinking about what substrate to get and what plants Will my plant choice dictate what substrate I should get? Can I plant in the middle of my cycling process? (difficult I suppose as I wont be able to lower water level). I like the look of the hairgrass but would I be right in thinking that this is not for the beginner? I'm not keen on plants that spread and cover the whole bottom of the tank but am open to suggestions.

Not really knowing what I am doing but do I have to get CO2 as it seems like just another complication/expense to what already seems a lot to take in. If I must I might be tempted to do a DIY CO2 project as seen on the forum.

What I am hoping is to let the forum know what I plan to buy and someone to let me know if I am about to make a mistake before I waste any money.

Thanks for the info I will advise my daughter acordingly.

I have checked on the status of the tank and it says it is dispatched. My next purchase will be to get some ammonia and a water testing kit. I read the liquid ones are best, any advice on which brand? (Getting ready for fishless cycling as per instructions at the following [topic="113861"][URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...shless-Cycling/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...shless-Cycling/[/topic][/URL] going for the add and wait method).

I suppose I should also be thinking about what substrate to get and what plants Will my plant choice dictate what substrate I should get? Can I plant in the middle of my cycling process? (difficult I suppose as I wont be able to lower water level). I like the look of the hairgrass but would I be right in thinking that this is not for the beginner? I'm not keen on plants that spread and cover the whole bottom of the tank but am open to suggestions.

Not really knowing what I am doing but do I have to get CO2 as it seems like just another complication/expense to what already seems a lot to take in. If I must I might be tempted to do a DIY CO2 project as seen on the forum.

What I am hoping is to let the forum know what I plan to buy and someone to let me know if I am about to make a mistake before I waste any money.
Yes, hi darryl and welcome to the forums,
Your top priority is indeed to get a good liquid-based test kit. I and many here use the API freshwater master test kit and I continue to like it as time goes by. There are others that are fine too as long as liquid-reagent based. As soon as you get it I recommend you set up an area and begin having Hannah become the chemist by learning to test the tap water, posting results in her aquarium log book and here in your thread for baseline info. Note date,time,water-temp also. As you may have been reading, ammonia, nitrite and pH will be your initial concerns, mostly just ammonia at first.

Get Hannah involved in learning the nitrogen cycle (charts at wikipedia, although their species designations are out of date.) Fishless cycling can sometimes take a long time and will try the patience of your daughter and probably the rest of the family. Maybe you can luck out and find a source of some mature filter media!

There are now well-developed plant substrates like Eco-Complete or Seachem Flourite or ones from the ADA that can be used. These can be used even if you don't get into the whole separate hobby of planted tanks. Live plants, easy ones, are a great addition to a tropical community tank however and I highly recommend. That said, you will have a lot to learn about water chem, fishkeeping and the like and you may do well to limit your worries about advanced plant topics until you have digested the basics (just an opinion and varies with individuals.)

Right now your priorities are re-reading the fishless article several times, learning about filters in detail and learning how to use the test kit accurately. During the fishless cycling weeks you can study which plants and fish. I think glass cats can be a bit delicate but don't hold me to that!

Good luck and don't be afraid to just post how things are going. Read all the other beginner discussions, questions, answers you can as the articles don't cover it all and there are lots of good bits all over TFF!

~~waterdrop~~

Hi Darryl,

As far as some easy, low light plants, I'd highly suggest the Anubias family. They are my favorite and are very hardy. Also, you could have things like Java Fern, Java Moss, Cryptocoryne plants, etc. When you get close to picking your plants, I'd suggest posting in the planted tanks forum and they can hep you make sure you have enough light and nutrients for the plants you pick out. Good Luck!

Laura

Don't stop using the diary when the tank is up and running; make a note of everything you do, even water changes. If you ever have problems further on, it's handy to be able to look back and try to get a few clues as to what's happened.

Disaster

Well received my new tank today only to discover that it is smashed to pieces.
BrokenTankSide.JPG

BrokenTankSide.JPG

BrokenTank4.JPG

BrokenTank4.JPG

I thought that this was well packed and must have been dropped for this amount of damage (well done Parcel Force).

This is a bit of a disaster but lets look at the tank anyway. I finally get a good look at the glass lid and to be honest I'm not too impressed! The lid is thinner than the rest of the tank and feels very flimsy and breakable. It slots onto the top with nothing holding it in. The silver bits on the corners are plastic and not metal as I initially thought. I feel that the lid has the potential to fall into the tank if one of the children was not careful. This has got to go back and we may have a rethink too.

Other info:
Classica Power Bio filter
Small at 14 x 3 x 4 cm(H x W x D)
Info on packet reads
Flow Rate 200 Litres/Hour Max
Power 5 Watts

Arc Light
Bigger than I thought at 28cm long comes with Arcadia Original Tropical Lamp (11w). Unable to test as I'm returning with the tank.

Jager 50w Heater
Looks rather small at 23cm which wasn't the smallest I saw but I'm happy for £10.99. Unable to test at the moment.

If anyone has a suggestion on a different tank now would be a good time. I chose the Arcadia Arc because I like the look of it and it was just about the right size. However, I feel that with children the glass lid may be impractical. I may now consider a clearseal 18x12x12" tank with an eheim aquaball 2208 filter?

Where did you buy it from, mate?

Also, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Glass Catfish can grow to around 6" so your tank is too small for them. They are also shoaling fish (like to be kept in groups of 6 or more), so i'm afraid they're a 'no no' for your tank.

Fishless cycling is the way to go and well done for considering it. :good: You'd be surprised how many newcomers to the hobby completely dismiss it.

Good luck with your new setup and give 'em hell about that tank.

Cheers :good:

BTT

Good news the company has been very good and agreed to give a full refund even though I dont want to buy another tank from them.

Now I cant believe how difficult it is to buy a plain tank with lights and nothing else. I want to be able to add my own filter and heater but all I can find is aquarium kits with rubbish heaters and filters included. Looked into getting Clearseal tank and consort hood. But by the time I get this and add a light and filter it works out to be rather expensive.

I have finally (almost) decided on the Aquacurve 30L Rectangular Aquarium. I have discovered that this is made by arcadia and uses the same filter described above so I will just have to see how this performs when (if) I get it.

It's shocking to receive a tank in the post in that condition. I was just wondering if the package had any "handle with care" warning stickers, (or the likes) on it? Me and my son are new to fishkeeping and we have a 90 litre Fluval tank set up and cycling at present. We are interested in trying some real plants in the nitrogen cycle and we wish you well with your fishkeeping.

Novices ourselves...but we do know that it is best to ask for advice on here before you buy anything or do anything to your tank.

Good luck.

Good news the company has been very good and agreed to give a full refund even though I dont want to buy another tank from them.

Now I cant believe how difficult it is to buy a plain tank with lights and nothing else. I want to be able to add my own filter and heater but all I can find is aquarium kits with rubbish heaters and filters included. Looked into getting Clearseal tank and consort hood. But by the time I get this and add a light and filter it works out to be rather expensive.

I have finally (almost) decided on the Aquacurve 30L Rectangular Aquarium. I have discovered that this is made by arcadia and uses the same filter described above so I will just have to see how this performs when (if) I get it.
Glad to hear the company acted responsibly.

Its surprising that you are only finding tanks sold as part of kits. Here in southeast US one can simply walk in to a big box pet store like PetSmart and buy only the bare tank, or only the tank,stand,light as a kit or the same tank as an entire kit with poor filters and such as you are describing.

We got a tank,stand,light as a kit. It was the only hardware purchase I made prior to starting my education at TFF and even though it didn't matter much I later probably would have even made different choices of the tank and light in more customized ways. By far though, the filter imo is the piece of hardware that should receive the most attention. It plays a critical role and is the focus of a lot of learning for the newcomer. Heaters and lights certainly have some details to study, but are easier than filters I think. Nice that you are homing in on a rectangular, although its a very individual decision, as in hindsight I like curved glass designs less than I thought I would.

~~waterdrop~~

Been away for last week as on holiday. Returned last broken tank last week only to return to brand new one today even though we stated that we no longer liked this tan. Now am having to return this one too.

Went out and got myself an API liquid master test kin and tested my tap water as recommended. Below are the results:

PH = 8 (used low PH test but when result was on maximum I then used the high PH kit)
Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = 10ppm
Ammonia = 0.25ppm

I have also had some thoughts on what fish to get and have a little short list as follows:

Guppies
Indian glassy fish (not catfish)
xray tetra
neon tetra
zebra danios (or Leopard)
endlers livebarers
sparkling / pygmy Gourami

The tank size is advertised as H38 D28 L44 (cm) 30 Litre I have read that some fish may be a bit too fast for this tank and most are shoal fish so we wont be getting all these probably 4-6 of a small fish and maybe a couple of other larger ones. The trick here is to try and keep all of my daughters happy!

Suggestions welcomed??

pH=8 -- should be pretty good for growing bacteria

nitrates & ammonia: Since these are not zero and since your tank is a smaller size and since you will hopefully have some enthusiastic daughters, it might work out nicely, eventually, after your tank is settled, populated and running normally, to consider more frequent, smaller water changes. So, for instance, where it might be recommended normally to change out 8 Litres once a week, you could try to go for 4 Litres twice a week. This would have the positive of introducing less ammonia and nitrate at once and also would give your fishkeepers 2 chances to to an activity on tank, plus its not very much water.

endlers: have always thought these were so beautiful in pictures but have never even had the pleasure of seeing them in real life, much less kept one. Would enjoy seeing pics if you get some! (does "oldman47" have one in his sig?)

Best! ~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back