Baby Rotkeil Serverum Diary. Hatched 4/3/10

Babies all doing great, so are the batch in the big tank, may move them tomorrow. 6 of these guys are on reserve already! :hyper:

Yes 4 for you, 2 for someone else, I want to keep 2 so thats 8 gone really lol

Babies are really starting to change shape now, can see the fins really forming now I am really chuffed with them, looking to move them to a bit bigger tank next week. :nod:

another 2 have been reserved

Are they definitley Rotkeils? because the ones Minxy had looked to me like Heros Appendiculatus.

Similar looking, but more grey than green body with more Orange than Red.

This is Appendiculatus
heros2.jpg

Rotkeil
Heros%20sp.%20(Rotkeil).jpg

Another similar species is Heros Sp. Curare (blue face severum)
heros_sp._157.jpg

Yes they are definately Rotkeils, when I had them from Minxy they were still only youngsters and did look a little like your first picture. They only get their true colours once full grown. I will ask Minxy next time she visits to bring her camera again so she can photograph the parents.

rotkeils, even from about 1" have the metallic blue markings on their face which is an easy way of telling and from about 1.5-2" will have a blue edge to the dorsal, my rotkeils are now hitting about 3" but only on the two biggest is the red around the neck starting to appear!
hope they are all doing well!! what do you feed yours star?

The last picture on the set that minxy kindly took you can see a blue tinge by the eye, they are being fed, crushed flake, chopped bloodworm (ikky job). Have noticed this morning a couple of them have now developed the black stripe before their tail, no definate colouration to speak of yet, still transparent and feeding really well, they are all up to the surface as soon as the lid is lifted now.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone, just a general question because a lot of people have 'Appendiculatus' which are cool to, like in the Severum appreciation thread Mark had a Appendiculatus that he bought as a rotkeil etc.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone, just a general question because a lot of people have 'Appendiculatus' which are cool to, like in the Severum appreciation thread Mark had a Appendiculatus that he bought as a rotkeil etc.

Dont worry I am taking everything the wrong way at the moment. tis forgotten.

Busy night, the babies have been moved now into a bigger tank, they now have gravel, plants and decor, their little eyes have nearly popped out of their heads lol, there are a few convict youngsters in with them, I couldnt catch all the convicts. Had a nice suprise counted them as I caught them I actually have 30! really chuffed however one is absolutely tiny, big fat belly but really small. The hatching tank was going to be shut down but been as the parents have spawned again I have decided to do a second batch. I must be mad!

Lol me to trust me, i just lost my mum, a whole tank of fish (including my beloved 8" Red Spot Bruno) and a bunch of other crap, so i think i'm a bit snappy myself apology's :)

On topic, have you tried feeding them boiled egg yolk? my little ones go crazy for it :)

I read somewhere about boiled egg yoke, not tried it, have been really careful since I lost most of them to feed easy clean up stuff like flake and bloodworm, may try it when they are a bit bigger.

Batch 1 have settled in lovely to their new tank, really starting to look like little severums now and unbelievably cute!, they look weird they have their stripes but as still transparent, from what I have read they should hopefully start getting their colours in the next couple of weeks.

Batch 2: I think the male must have missed his aim, got quite a lot of white eggs all in one patch, they have been removed, starting to get the little black eyes and spines appearing within the egg, keeping fingers crossed I manage to raise a few more this time.

Most reactions

Back