Baby Kribensis!

mhancock

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My kribs have started a family!!!

The parents are busy guarding the fry from anything that dares come to near, there seem to be about 12-15 of the little things.

They are not in a breeding trap yet, I could get them into it with careful use of the siphon but am not too keen to do this, besides they seem quite safe where they are.

I've put some finely ground up flake food into the tank via the inlet, they seemed to eat that which landed by them quite quickly. Is there anything else I should be doing? They seem to be sucking away at the bogwood itself!

Can't you use a plastic cup or something so that you can carry the fry with water over? Though not sure if the fry should be left with the parents, never bred kribs before, and I moved my swordtail fry with a net, even though it's probably not the best way to do it.

Just leave well alone - kribs are amazing parents and will look after them. The fry are eating the infusoria which are tiny microscopic creatures on the bogwood .You can buy liquid fry food which you can squirt near them with an eye dropper but really there is no need, just grind the flake up small and if thats not sufficient the parents will chew food and spit it out for them.

Just leave well alone - kribs are amazing parents and will look after them. The fry are eating the infusoria which are tiny microscopic creatures on the bogwood .You can buy liquid fry food which you can squirt near them with an eye dropper but really there is no need, just grind the flake up small and if thats not sufficient the parents will chew food and spit it out for them.

Thanks Gilli, I have been adding in finely crushed flake.

They are amazing fish, I cannot see the fry at the moment even though I can see where the parents are guarding! I guess the fry will get bigger very quickly - when do you think I'll need to re-home them?

I'd be a lot more worried about other tankmates and their wellbeing, rather than the Krib family, parents often go into "psychotic killing machine / protective parents mode" and will constantly attack anything stupid/brave enough to try and get within ~6 inches of the youngsters.

I'd be a lot more worried about other tankmates and their wellbeing, rather than the Krib family, parents often go into "psychotic killing machine / protective parents mode" and will constantly attack anything stupid/brave enough to try and get within ~6 inches of the youngsters.

Thanks, it's a nice big tank (225l) so plenty of room for the other fish to stay out of the way, which they seem to be doing!

When they stop being accepted by their parents. The group will thin out and start to break up. That's when you remove them, or when the female spawns again the parents are likely to attack them

Glad I spotted this post! Congrats on the new fry. My kribs have been busy digging various large craters in the sand the last few days. Then today I found a bunch of 50 odd eggs in a "cave" in the bogwood where they were excavating last night. Looking forward to seeing how many fry I get :rolleyes:

Glad I spotted this post! Congrats on the new fry. My kribs have been busy digging various large craters in the sand the last few days. Then today I found a bunch of 50 odd eggs in a "cave" in the bogwood where they excavating last night. Looking forward to seeing how many fry I get :rolleyes:

That's really exciting! I found this really helpful:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/297150-how-to-breed-kribensis-a-guide/

Mark

Cool thanks. Just read that and looks like I'll only have to wait a few more days to see how many hatch. Very excited!

Dont be disappointed if you dont get fry and they eat the eggs. It usually takes them a while to get the hang of how to do it!!

Thanks for all the replies.

Yesterday there were less fry than previously, and today there are none. I'm confident that the water quality is fine.

Is it normal for the first batch of fry not to survive? The parents seem quite happily roaming round the tank as they were before the fry were there.

Yes completely normal, might have been other fish in the tank even :good:

When they try again (the female's stomach area is already looking like a ripe plumb!), how many fry will they typically have?

Most reactions

Back